WHERE DO YOU PUT YOUR FAITH?

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2011
      WHERE DO YOU PUT YOUR FAITH?
      “When the soldiers returned to camp, the elders of Israel asked, ‘Why
      did the LORD bring defeat upon us today before the Philistines? Let us
      bring the ark of the LORD's covenant from Shiloh, so that it may go
      with us and save us from the hand of our enemies’” (1 Samuel 4:3 NIV).
      The Ark of the Covenant was a sacred portable container which was the
      most important sacred object of the Israelites during the wilderness
      period. It was also known as the ark of the Lord (Joshua 6:11), the
      ark of God (1 Samuel 3:3), and the ark of the Testimony (Exodus
      25:22). It served as the presence of the LORD among the Israelites. At
      times, it led them on their journey in the wilderness (Numbers 10:33)
      and it was instrumental in the crossing of River Jordan as the waters
      of the river ceased to continue flowing as soon as the feet of the
      priests who were carrying the ark entered the water, and that it stood
      still above until these priests, after the people of Israel had
      crossed over (see Joshua 3:11-17; 4:7, 11, 18). No wonder, when the
      Israelites were losing a battle against the Philistines, they trusted
      the seemingly “magic power” of the ark rather than God, and took the
      ark into battle. They thought that the ark would rescue them from
      their enemies. Unfortunately, they suffered a crushing defeat and the
      sacred ark was even captured by the enemies! (1 Samuel 4:1-11).
      Nowadays, it is amazing to see how many Christians and even some
      Christian denominations are placing so much emphasis and trust in some
      seemingly sacred objects rather than the Almighty God that created
      such objects for man’s use. The objects may be anointing oil,
      “sanctified” apron, mantle or handkerchief, “holy” water, “sanctified”
      candle, soap, sponge, and the likes. Interestingly, many people have
      been disappointed in spite of the use of such objects.
      Where do you put your faith? Is it in created things or the Creator?
      No matter how sacred or “sanctified” they may be, created objects may
      aid your belief in God, but it is far better to put your faith
      directly in God than relying on these sacred or “sanctified” objects
      before you can get anything from God. The Psalmist said, “Some trust
      in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD
      our God” (20:7 NIV).