DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE (Part 2)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2011
      DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE (Part 2)
      “But when [Peter] saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink,
      cried out, “Lord, save me!’” (Matthew 14:30 NIV).
      In the first part of this message, we saw how Simon Peter was ready to
      do the impossible by doing three things: he recognized the Lordship of
      Jesus; he took the initiative of asking to walk on water; and he was
      ready to leave his comfort zone (that is, the comfort of the boat). He
      also did other things that are worthy of note for anyone who also
      wants to do the impossible.
      The fourth thing that Peter did was that he moved toward Jesus (verse
      29b). When he got down from the boat and started walking on the water,
      he did not move towards any other direction except the direction of
      Jesus. He knew that he was walking on water because of Jesus because
      without Jesus he could do nothing (see John 15:5b). He was not full of
      himself. Anyone who will do the impossible must be ready to be
      God-conscious and not self-centred.
      The fifth thing is that anyone that will do the impossible must be
      ready for trials of faith (verse 30). One has to take note of
      something here that the writers of the Gospels were silent of: what
      did the other disciples say or do when Peter was getting down of the
      boat and started walking on the water? Did they discourage or
      encourage him? If they did not say or do anything as the Bible
      portrays it, what was the effect of their indifference to Peter?
      Anyway, Peter was walking on the water, but he considered the
      prevailing circumstance (the wind) and he started to sink. The action
      or inaction of the other disciples and the turbulent wind were trials
      of faith for him. Unfortunately, he lost focus of Jesus that he was
      moving toward. This made him to start to sink. A matter of fact is
      that in this world, anyone that will do the impossible will face many
      trials of faith. Such trials that may be in form of anything either
      good or bad are inevitable (see John 16:33; Acts 14:22; 1
      Thessalonians 3:4; 2 Timothy 3:12). How do you react to them? Was it
      possible that Peter doubted as he was walking on the water? James
      said, “But when you pray, you must believe and not doubt at all.
      Whoever doubts is like a wave in the sea that is driven and blown
      about by the wind. A person like that, unable to make up his mind and
      undecided in all he does, must not think that he will receive anything
      from the Lord” (James 1:6-7 TEV).
      Peter did the right thing: he called on the Lord (verse 30b). He did
      not rely on any other thing. As a professional fisherman, he could
      rely on his professional experience and try to swim either back to the
      safety of the boat or to Jesus. He might have remembered one of the
      many promises of God. One of such promises is, “Call upon me in the
      day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honour me” (Psalm
      50:15 NIV. See also Psalm 91:15; Jeremiah 33:3; Matthew 7:7; James
      5:13).
      Are you ready to do the impossible of walking on the trouble water of
      your life? Then be ready to do these highlighted things. Wait for the
      concluding part next week.

      In addition to the blog of daily quotes and other edifying blogs in my
      Internet ministry, I have just recently created another blog for at
      least a verse from the Holy Bible every day. Here is the link to the
      weblog: http://bibleverseofthedaybypastorbayo.blogspot.com/. Bookmark
      or save it and be visiting it every day for daily edifying Bible
      verses. God bless you!