NOT MY WILL

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2011
      NOT MY WILL
      “Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and
      prayed, ‘My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.
      Yet not as I will, but as you will’” (Matthew 26:39 NIV).
      Some weeks ago, I posted a message of warning about our prayer
      requests based on the experience of Hezekiah when he was not ready to
      accept the absolute will of God for his life. Most of the people that
      reacted to the message agreed with me, while some, expectedly,
      disagreed with me on the warning. The point of the people that
      disagreed with the message is that, as Hezekiah did, one can ask God
      for what one seems best for oneself. These people based their argument
      on man’s free will and the fact that God is a merciful God who is
      ready to do whatever we ask Him.
      It is a fact that man has the free will to decide and ask for anything
      from God, after all, God said in many places in the Bible that we
      should ask and He would answer us (see Jeremiah 33:3; 29:12;
      Deuteronomy 4:29; Psalm 50:15; 91:15; 145:18; Isaiah 55:6-7; 65:24;
      Matthew 7:7-11; 21:22; Luke 11:9-10; John 14:13-14; 16:24). However,
      we must remember that God would not answer our prayers if they are not
      according to His will. Apostle John declared: “This is the confidence
      we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his
      will, he hears us” (1 John 5:14 NIV. Compare these passages also: 1
      John 3:22; James 4:3; John 15:7; Jeremiah 29:13).
      Humanly speaking, one would tend to support Hezekiah in his prayers in
      2 Kings 20:2-3 and Isaiah 38:2-3. However, I will recommend the
      example of the prayer of our Lord Jesus Christ in the Garden of
      Gethsemane (Matthew 26:39-42). Both of them had the opportunities of
      knowing the absolute will of God for their lives at those points in
      their lives. Interestingly, that will had to do with death (what no
      human being would want). Hezekiah decided to exercise his privilege of
      asking God for what he (Hezekiah) wanted. God granted him his heart
      desire and we all know the end of his story. Jesus Christ, on the
      other hand, decided to let God have His way, and we all know the end
      of His story too.
      Whose example would you want to follow: Hezekiah’s or Jesus’? What
      would you prefer: your will or God’s will? As for me, not my will oh
      Lord, but your absolute will be done in my life!
      Send your reaction directly to me or copy me at
      <spiritualdigest@...> or <spiritualdigest@...>.
      EIGHT YEARS OF GOD’S FAITHFULNESS!
      Last Friday February 18, 2011 marked the eight-year anniversary of my
      Internet ministry - a ministry that started with sending of a
      devotional message by email to about 50 people on February 18, 2003.
      Indeed, great is God’s faithfulness and I will always proclaim it
      forever.
      Visit http://thewordthruthenet.blogspot.com/2011/02/eight-years-of-gods-faithfulness.html
      to see the complete anniversary message.

      inspiring quotes from the Holy Bible and other notable Christians.