DO NOT LET YOUR HEARTS BE TROUBLED

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24 9:12 PM
      DO NOT LET YOUR HEARTS BE TROUBLED
      "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me….
      Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (John 14:1,
      27b NIV).
      There are a lot of problems and hardships today that make the world
      unbearable for living. No one is immune from these things that are
      confronting human beings every day. Many have given up all hopes and
      are expecting the worst to happen. Some have even resorted to taking
      their lives. However, in all these, Jesus Christ says, "Do not let
      your hearts be troubled."
      Jesus Christ was with His disciples in the upper room giving them His
      farewell speech when He made this statement. His disciples were
      disturbed because of some events that He predicted. These events
      included: He was going away (John 7:34; 8:21; 12:8, 35; 13:33); He
      would die (John 12:32-33); one of them was a betrayer (John 13:21);
      Satan was at work against all of them (Luke 22:31-32); they would not
      be able to follow Him to where He was going (John 13:36); Peter would
      deny Him thrice (John 13:38); and all of them would fall away (Matthew
      26:31). Nevertheless, Jesus counseled them to believe in God and also
      in Him (John 14:1). He was saying in essence that they should believe
      in, adhere to, trust in and rely on Him. Trust is the great antidote
      for a troubled heart. Seeing God above our problems will make our
      hearts not to be troubled.
      Jesus Christ did not ask His disciples to only trust in Him as an
      antidote for their troubled hearts, He also gave some other reasons
      for His admonition. He affirmed the reality of heaven where He was
      going to prepare a place for the disciples (as well as other
      believers), and come back to take them (John 14:2-3). The reward of
      Christian service in the hereafter is an encouragement to the
      disciples and even believers today to persevere in trials of faith.
      Jesus would not leave the disciples alone in the world. He promised
      that the Father would send another Comforter to them, Someone who
      would abide with them forever (John 14:15-17, 26). This would be the
      Holy Spirit.
      Despite the fact that Jesus Christ would leave His disciples, He would
      give them His peace (John 14:27). This peace would be different from
      the worldly peace or any other peace that they could think of. But
      this peace, as Paul put it, "…transcends all understanding, [and it]
      will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians
      4:7 NIV). This would not be for them, just as part of their lives in
      eternity, but as a vital aspect of their lives on earth. The peace is
      also for all that put their total trust in Jesus Christ.
      Jesus Christ briefly mentioned it as He was rounding off His farewell
      speech that He has overcome Satan, the prince of this world (John
      14:30). Satan might have come to this world, yet he would not overcome
      the disciples. Jesus Christ reaffirmed it also in John 16:33 that He
      has overcome the world.
      What are you passing through that is making your heart to be troubled?
      Remember Jesus' admonition, "Do not let your hearts be troubled." He
      has gone to prepare our eternal home for us. He will come back to take
      us to Himself. Come to God through Him, the only true living Way.
      Allow the Holy Spirit to have His way in your life. You will
      experience His peace. "For our light and momentary troubles are
      achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we
      fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is
      seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal" (2 Corinthians
      4:17-18 NIV).
      In His service,
      Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor)

      NB
      This message was first posted on October 17, 2004. It is an abridged
      version of a study of John 14. If you want the full version, write me
      at directly spiritualdigest@.... God bless you!