“ME I NO GO SUFFER...”

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2008

      "ME I NO GO SUFFER..."

      "For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to
      believe on him, but also to suffer for him" (Philippians 1:29, NIV).

      There is a popular chorus in pidgin English in my part of the world
      that goes thus: "Me I no go suffer, I no go beg for bread. God of
      miracle, na my Papa o. God of miracle, na my papa o." The literal
      meaning in the conventional English is, "I will not suffer; I will not
      beg for bread. God of miracle is my Father. God of miracle is my
      Father." The song is a positive confession of who a Christian is in
      the Lord and what would happen to him. However, the song is partly one
      of such false hopes that make many Christians to lose the essence of
      being a Christian.

      The Bible in many places teaches about the Christian suffering.
      Consider these verses:
      "I have told you this so that you will have peace by being united to
      me. The world will make you suffer. But be brave! I have defeated the
      world!" (John 16:33, TEV).
      "In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will
      be persecuted" (2 Timothy 3:12, NIV).
      "For even when we were with you, [you know] we warned you plainly
      beforehand that we were to be pressed with difficulties and made to
      suffer affliction, just as to your own knowledge it has [since]
      happened" (1 Thessalonians 3:4, AMP).
      "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the
      fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his
      death" (Philippians 3:10, NIV).
      "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are
      suffering, as though something strange were happening to you" (1 Peter
      4:12, NIV).

      Nevertheless, this suffering is not suffering for wrongdoing but
      suffering for being a Christian (see 1 Peter 4:12-16; Philippians
      1:29), and it is certain that the Lord will see the Christian through
      the suffering and make him/her come out of it like a purified gold
      (see Psalm 23:4; 66:10; Zechariah 13:9; Malachi 3:3; 1 Peter 4:12-13).

      The implication of this is that the Christian should be prepared for
      suffering all the time. However, he should "not lose heart. [Because]
      outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day
      by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an
      eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on
      what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary,
      but what is unseen is eternal" (2 Corinthians 4:16-18, NIV).

      It is indeed good to positively confess that we will not suffer.
      However, we should always remember that Christian life involves
      suffering in this world. The good news is that God has given Christian
      victory over the suffering, and He will be with the Christian to go
      through the suffering successfully.

      I have just created a weblog http://thewordthruthenet.blogspot.com/.
      You can follow my weekly messages there and give your comments. God
      bless you!