    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25 9:52 PM

      "Let us, then, hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we have a
      great High Priest who has gone into the very presence of God — Jesus,
      the Son of God" (Hebrews 4:14, TEV).

      Traditionally, a priest represents the people before the deities. He
      helps them to offer sacrifices to the deities. He is in charge of the
      shrine and other things pertaining to the worship of the deities. In
      the history of the people of Israel, the high priest, with the help of
      other priests and the Levites, performed these functions.
      Unfortunately, they were not perfect, and they could not represent the
      people well before the Almighty God.

      Nevertheless, the writer of the book of the Hebrews presented Jesus
      Christ as the greatest High Priest who surpasses all other high
      priests. This is one of the thrusts of the book. Jesus Christ
      qualified Himself to be a merciful and faithful High Priest by
      becoming a man (2:11-18) who is sympathetic with human weaknesses
      (4:15). Jesus Christ did not assume the office of high priest for
      self-glory (5:5), but He was called by God to the office, and not of
      the order of Aaron, but of Melchizedek (5:10). Jesus Christ had no
      need, as the sons of Aaron, to offer sacrifices for His own sins, and
      then for the sins of the people, for He had no sin (7:27-28). The
      other high priests offered animal blood that could never take sin away
      (10:1-4), but Jesus Christ offered His own blood (9:12) once for all
      (9:26; 10:10, 12). Because of their mortality, there were many priests
      with temporal priesthood (7:23); but the priesthood of Jesus Christ is
      an eternal priesthood because He lives forever (7:25). The priesthood
      of the other high priests was performed in an earthly model of the
      real sanctuary in heaven (8:5), but Jesus Christ is performing His
      ministry in heaven itself (4:14; 9:11), seated at the right hand of
      God (10:12). By His one offering, He has achieved His goal—the
      sanctification of His people. What a great High Priest! No wonder,
      anyone who accepts Him as his/her personal Savior and Lord – the only
      mediator between God and man (see 1 Timothy 2:5) – can come directly
      into the presence of God.

      There have been, and still are, many self-acclaimed mediators between
      God and man. None of them has the qualifications that distinguish
      Jesus Christ as the greatest High Priest. Therefore, they cannot save
      anyone who follows them.

      Who is your representative before God? Accept Jesus Christ today and
      have the boldness of meeting God now and hereafter.