THEY ARE IMPORTANT, BUT...

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2008

      THEY ARE IMPORTANT, BUT...

      "So there is no difference between Jews and Gentiles, between slaves
      and free men, between men and women; you are all one in union with
      Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28, TEV).

      When I was led to compose the message I sent out last week about the
      importance of the girl child and women generally, I did not initially
      think of the negative implication of the message, especially in
      regards to the controversy of the roles of women in the church and the
      recent movement of women liberation. People's reactions to the message
      will make me to write a rejoinder to these reactions about those two
      issues.

      It is my submission that women are created in the image of God as
      helpers suitable for men, that they have their roles to play in the
      world and the propagation of the gospel of Christ, that they are equal
      spiritually with men, and that they can perform any role in the church
      and in any other place. However, women should remember that they are
      to be in submission to their husbands regardless of the position they
      find themselves.

      I would not want to join the controversy of the roles of women in the
      church or in the society. If you believe that women should not take
      any active role either in the church or in the society, good. Hold on
      to your position. Do not condemn people that believe otherwise. Let
      God do that. If you believe that God can use women as He is using men
      in the church and in the larger society, good. Hold on to your
      position. You also should not condemn people that do not hold your
      views. Interpretation of some passages of the Bible should not cause
      discord.

      Nevertheless, undue emphasis on women liberation negates the biblical
      injunctions on the position of women. Women should be contented with
      the fact that in God's order, men are the first, then women. Men also
      should not take unfair advantage over women because of the nature of
      women. Men are to treat women with respect as joint heirs of God's
      blessings so that they (the men) have God's favour (see 1 Peter 3:7).

      1. Send your reaction directly to me or copy me at <spiritualdigest@...>.
      2. I have a seminar paper written on this issue, I will send it to you
      on request. God bless you!