LORD, TEACH US TO PRAY!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2008

      LORD, TEACH US TO PRAY!

      "One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one
      of his disciples said to him, 'Lord, teach us to pray, just as John
      taught his disciples'" (Luke 11:1, IV).

      Our Lord Jesus Christ while on earth knew the importance of prayer,
      and He did not play with it. He started His earthly ministry with
      prayer and ended it with prayer. One of the instances of His prayer
      life is the verse quoted above.

      As He finished His prayer, one of His disciples came to Him asked Him
      to teach them (i.e. the disciples) how to pray. This indicates that
      they had been seeing Him praying, and probably they had partaken in
      His time of prayer, but they did not know how to pray. The Bible does
      not disclose the identity of this particular disciple. However, one of
      them asked, and it led to the teaching of what we know today as "The
      Lord's Prayer."

      The prayer life of a Christian cannot be over-emphasized. It is proper
      for us to meditate beforehand what we are to ask of God, and to
      arrange our thoughts, that we may not come thoughtlessly into His
      presence.

      As Christians, we are in the war front against the devil and his host.
      The Bible clearly states this that our struggle is not against flesh
      and blood, but against the satanic powers (Ephesians 6:12), and that
      though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does (2
      Corinthians 10:3-4). We can use the efficacy of prayer against these
      satanic powers. But, how can we use this power effectively?

      Promises of God abound in the Bible that we should ask Him anything in
      prayer and He will do it for us. How can we rightly utilize these
      promises in prayer? We have to ask God to teach us how to pray.

      There are various ways of prayer. Only God can teach us the proper
      method of praying if we are ready to learn. Indeed, we cannot pray
      acceptably at all unless God take us through the course of prayer.
      Somebody has suggested the acronym "ACTS" to describe the ways of
      prayer. The acronym stands for Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving,
      and Supplication. While praying, what method should we use? We need to
      ask God to teach us.

      Lord, teach us to pray!