    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2008

      RENEW YOUR GIVING (Part 1)

      "'Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food
      in my house. Test me in this,' says the LORD Almighty, 'and see if I
      will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much
      blessing that you will not have room enough for it. I will prevent
      pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not
      cast their fruit,' says the LORD Almighty. 'Then all the nations will
      call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,' says the LORD
      Almighty" (Malachi 3:10-12, NIV).

      This passage is the most popular in the book of Malachi because of its
      teaching on tithes. Many stewardship sermons have been preached on
      this passage. What made Malachi to challenge the people of Israel to
      return to God by being faithful in their tithes and offerings? This
      devotional messages is an abridged version of a study on the entire
      scriptural principles of giving with Malachi 3:7-12 as focal passage
      though the study will not be only on tithes and offerings but on
      giving generally, hence the topic.

      The people of Israel were accused of disobeying God right from the
      days of their forefathers. As much as God tried to bring them to
      Himself, they strayed away from Him. God charged them to return unto
      Him so that He also would return unto them (see James 4:8-9).
      Ironically, the Israelites did not know how to return to God. How
      could they, when they did not care to serve Him the right way? Only
      those who try to seek God find Him.

      If the people did not know the way they had derailed from God, Malachi
      was ready to bluntly tell them that they were robbing God. To rob man
      is a grave offence in Israel. What a surprise that they were not
      robbing men, but God! One would not be surprised that the people of
      Israel asked for the ways in which they were robbing God. However,
      did they not know?

      In his bluntness, Malachi told them that they were robbing God in
      their tithes and offerings. He had earlier raised the issue of
      profane offering in chapter one. Offerings here referred to the
      portions of the general offerings designated for the priests. The
      tithe was literally a tenth of all produce and livestock that the
      people possessed (Leviticus 27:30, 32). It was to be given to the
      Levites, who in turn were to give a tithe of the tithe to the priests
      (Numbers 18:21-32). By implication, if the priests were not receiving
      offerings and tithes due to them, then they would have to turn to
      other means of supporting themselves, thereby neglecting the temple

      The study will be concluded next week with the New Testament teaching
      on giving generally.

      In His service,

      Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor)