GIVE GOD THE GLORY!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2008

      GIVE GOD THE GLORY!

      "On an appointed day Herod, having put on his royal apparel, took his
      seat on the rostrum and began delivering an address to them. The
      people kept crying out, 'The voice of a god and not of a man!' And
      immediately an angel of the Lord struck him because he did not give
      God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and died" (Acts 12:21-23,
      NASU).

      King Herod Agrippa I who reigned between A.D. 37 and 44 died a
      mysterious death. The writer of the book of Acts of the Apostles
      recorded his history in the twelfth chapter of the book. "The people
      of Tyre and Sidon" were not in his good book (verse 20). Having
      secured the favour of one his trusted servants, they sought for his
      audience to make peace with him. During the peace meeting, he
      delivered an address that made the people to praise him and even
      ascribe unto him the position of a god. The Bible says an angel of the
      Lord struck him because he, King Herod, did not return the praise to
      God. He was eaten by worms and died (verses 21-23). An extra-biblical
      account explained it better that "...he was immediately seized with
      violent internal pains, and died five days after." His main offence
      was that he did not give God the glory. King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon
      was driven out of his exalted position and ate grass like cattle for
      seven years because he did not give God the glory for his achievements
      (see Daniel 4:29-37).

      Only God knows the number of people that have been struck by Him
      because of the offence of not giving Him the glory for what He has
      done in their lives or what He has done in the lives of other people
      through them. Spiritual worms "are eating" such people presently, and
      they will soon meet their Waterloo if they do not repent. The Lord
      says, "I am the LORD; that is my name! I will not give my glory to
      another or my praise to idols" (Isaiah 42:8, NIV). You have to know
      that "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble" (1 Peter
      5:5, NIV).

      In what ways have you been taking the glory of God in your life? Do
      you remember to return the glory unto Him when people give you such
      glory? Give God the glory! Let His blessings, not His curses, be
      yours. "To [God] be glory both now and for ever! Amen" (2 Peter 3:18,
      NIV).