    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2008

      "A man who tricks someone and then claims that he was only joking is
      like a crazy man playing with a deadly weapon" (Proverbs 26:18, TEV).

      "April Fool" – a practice of intentionally deceiving people on April 1
      – has been in existence for centuries. It is a worldwide phenomenon.
      There are many traditions behind this practice. When I was young,
      especially before I became born again, I used to look forward to the
      day to play pranks on my colleagues and even elderly ones. I used to
      be delighted to see people and even me been deceived and later
      discover that it was in the name of "April Fool." However, since I
      became born again, I have desisted from such act, and I cannot
      remember when I fell victim of that practice till this year when a
      fellow Christian brother played the pranks on me. Later that day, I
      received a news item via email that turned out to be a falsehood. The
      fabricator of the news remarked at the end of the email that it was
      "April Fool."

      The two incidents really irritated me, and they made me to go into
      archives to find out the origin of the practice. Regardless of the
      numerous traditions behind its origin and its spread worldwide, it is
      a fact that such practice should be discouraged especially among
      Christians. Falsehood is a sin before God. One of the things that God
      hates is "lying tongue" (see Proverbs 6:16-17; 12:22). The writer of
      Proverbs 30:8 prayed, "Keep falsehood and lies far from me..." (NIV).
      Paul told the Ephesians, "Therefore each of you must put off falsehood
      and speak truthfully to his neighbour, for we are all members of one
      body" (4:25, NIV); and the Colossians, "Do not lie to each other,
      since you have taken off your old self with its practices" (3:9, NIV).
      Hence, it is wrong for any Christian to partake in the practice of
      "April Fool." Such a Christian should know that he/she is sinning
      against God, and God will reward such person accordingly (see Psalms
      5:6; 19:5; Revelation 21:8, 27; 22:15).

      Do you do such things? Do you involve yourself in such "harmless"
      or/and even real falsehood? Do such practices glorify God in your
      life? "...whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1
      Corinthians 10:31, NIV).