DEUTERONOMY 28

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2008

      DEUTERONOMY 28

      "If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his
      commands that I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high
      above all the nations on earth. All these blessings will come upon you
      and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God.... However, if you do
      not obey the LORD your God and do not carefully follow all his
      commands and decrees I am giving you today, all these curses will come
      upon you and overtake you..." (Deuteronomy 28:1-2, 15, NIV).

      The first fourteen verses of Deuteronomy 28 are ones of the passages
      the Bible that many people like very much. They quote the verses most
      often and are ready to apply them to themselves. Some ministers of God
      also are fond of using the verses to pray for their congregations.
      However, few people would like to read the remaining part of the
      chapter. I was nearly guilty of this recently. I ought to read the
      chapter in my "Read the Bible through in a Year" schedule that day. I
      gladly read the first fourteen verses and even applied them to myself,
      but the moment I got to verse 15, I was reluctant to go ahead. I went
      back to verse 1 to see the conditions attached to the blessings in
      those "good" fourteen verses, then, I re-read verse 15 and discovered
      the conditions attached to the seeming "bad" fifty-four verses that
      follow: diligent obedience of God's commandments is the condition for
      the blessings of the first fourteen verses (see verses 1, 2, 9 and
      13), while disobedience of God's commandments is the condition for the
      curses in the subsequent fifty-four verses (see verses 15 and 58).

      Another thing I discovered from this chapter is that Moses took extra
      time to explain the curses as a warning to the people. He followed the
      example of God in Leviticus 26 where God gave similar warning with
      similar pattern. Moses had earlier summarized these warnings in
      Deuteronomy 11:26-28, "See, I am setting before you today a blessing
      and a curse — the blessing if you obey the commands of the LORD your
      God that I am giving you today; the curse if you disobey the commands
      of the LORD your God and turn from the way that I command you today by
      following other gods, which you have not known" (NIV).

      A careful study of the history of the people of Israel when they
      eventually occupied the Promised Land reveals how all these blessings
      and curses came to pass in their lives. They had blessings and
      prosperity when they diligently obeyed the commandments of God, and
      curses and punishments when they disobeyed the commandments.

      What do you want from God – His blessings or His curses? Claiming the
      blessings is not enough. You have to diligently obey His commandments
      as spelt out in the Scriptures to have His blessings. Obey Him and His
      blessings will be yours.