Living Life God's Way 2/11/2008: Your Irrevocable Calling

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2008

      God doesn't call people who are qualified,
      He calls people who are willing,
      and then He qualifies them.
      Richard Parker
      ______________________________________

      Your Irrevocable Calling
      For God's gifts and His call are irrevocable
      Romans 11:19
      It is dangerous to align your calling and your vocation as
      dependent on each other. God calls us into relationship with Him. That
      is our foremost calling. It is from this relationship that our
      "physical" calling results. Whether this is to be a teacher, a
      stockbroker, a nurse, a pastor, or any number of vocations, we must
      realize that when He calls us, the change in vocation never changes the
      call on our lives. It is a mere change in the landscape of our calling.
      This is why it is dangerous to associate our purpose and calling to
      closely with our work. When we define our work life exclusively as our
      calling, we fall into the trap of locking up our identity into our
      vocation. This promotes aspiration because of a need to gain greater
      self-worth through what we do.
      Os Guinness, author of The Call, describes the great artist Picasso
      who fell into this trap.
      "When a man knows how to do something," Pablo Picasso told a
      friend, "he ceases being a man when he stops doing it." The result was a
      driven man. Picasso's gift. once idolized, held him in thrall. Every
      empty canvas was an affront to his creativity. Like an addict he made
      work his source of satisfaction only to find himself dissatisfied. "I
      have only one thought, work," Picasso said toward the end of his life,
      when neither his family nor his friends could help him relax.
      What happens when you lose your job? Do you lose your calling? Do
      you lose your identity? Do you lose your sense of well-being? No.
      Calling involves different stages and experiences in life. Disruptions
      in your work are an important training ground for God to fulfill all
      aspects of His calling on your life. Trust in your God who says your
      calling is irrevocable and that all things come from Him.
      Os Hillman; Today God Is First; 9/23/2007

      Subscribe; send email to rossboss@... and put "subscribe" in
      the subject line
      Unsubscribe; send email to rossboss@... and put "unsubscribe"
      in the subject line