Living Life God's Way 12/3/2007; Developing Our Heart For God

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2007

      Developing Our Heart For God
      I will rouse your sons, O Zion, against your sons,
      O Greece, and make you like a warrior's sword.
      Zechariah 9:13b
      In the third and fourth centuries, Socrates and other Greek
      scholars began to influence the Church in ways that were different from
      the Hebraic roots of the early Church. The Greek influence appeals more
      to the intellect, whereas the early-Church Hebraic model appealed to the
      heart. The Greek influence resulted in more emphasis on oratory skills
      and cognitive knowledge of God. Over the many centuries, this influence
      has shown itself in a more programmatic approach to the gospel rather
      than a process of living out our faith. So why is it important for us to
      understand this?
      I realized in my own life that I was a product of this Greek
      system. My walk with Christ focused more on what I knew than on an
      intimate and powerful walk with God. Knowledge without power to express
      the life within is of little value. The more programmatic the focus, the
      less emphasis we place on building deep and caring relationships that
      result in changed lives. Our early Church fathers knew there was a cost
      to living out the Word of God, not simply giving mental assent to it.
      Are you walking with God today in an intimate fellowship? Or, are
      you only involved in programs and activities designed to do good things?
      Reflect on Proverbs 23:12: "Apply your heart to instruction and your
      ears to the words of knowledge." We must listen and respond with the
      heart. Whatever service we give to God should be a result of our
      relationship with our heavenly Father, not an end unto itself.
      from Today God Is First by Os Hillman

      Why not take a quiet moment today and reflect on your fellowship
      and relationship with God. Is it more "head" or "heart"?
      Be still and let God tell you how much He loves you and
      wants a closer intimacy with you. Out of greater
      intimacy with God comes stronger faith
      and changed lives in you and others.

      Subscribe; send email to rossboss@... and put "subscribe" in
      the subject line