Living Life God's Way 11/26/2007; Check Under The Hood

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2007

      Check Under the Hood
      by Os Hillman, November 24, 2007

      But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger,
      rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
      Colossians 3:8

      "The root issue you are dealing with is fear. The physical symptom
      is control, and when you cannot control, you get angry because of unmet
      expectations." These were the words I spoke during a conversation in a
      restaurant to my friend who was separated from his wife. He described
      his anger and how he never saw some of these characteristics in his life
      until he entered this marriage.
      A friend once said to me, "Anger is like the lights on a dashboard.
      They tell you something is going on under the hood. You must find out
      the source of the problem." Whenever we have expectations of another
      person and those expectations do not materialize, our tendency is to get
      angry. The source of the anger is often the fear that the unmet
      expectation will negatively impact us. We fear that our finances, our
      well-being, our image, or any number of things may be impacted by the
      unmet expectation. My friend's wife had not met his expectations in many
      areas of his life, so then, many times it resulted in harsh words that
      damaged his wife's self-esteem. Now, it was leading to a marriage
      crisis.
      Jesus often spoke of living as though we were dead. How can you live
      as though you are dead? "In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin
      but alive to God in Christ Jesus" (Rom. 6:11). It is a choice each of us
      must make. Once you become dead to that which stirs an emotion in you,
      God is free to change that situation. Until then, you can expect God to
      allow that situation to remain until you reckon yourself dead to the
      effects of the issue that causes you to struggle.
      Is there something that causes anger within you? Ask God what the
      source of that anger is. You might be surprised at what you find. Then
      ask God to give you the grace to reckon yourself dead to that issue. You
      will find new freedom in your relationships and your own peace of mind.

      Wow!....Can I relate to this.
      I still have anger at times, but God has released me from so much
      of my anger by showing the source of much of my anger.
      I have been able to die to many emotions that set me off and damaged
      my marriage, my relationship with my children and friends.
      Most of that damage has been repaired and relationships restored at a
      level I never thought possible.
      And you know what else....I am so much happier and so is everyone around
      me.
      God is the only reason for this...the strength comes from Him.
      God is good! Amen!

      Subscribe; send email to rossboss@... and put "subscribe" in
      the subject line
      Unsubscribe; send email to rossboss@... and put "unsubscribe"