Living Life God's Way 10/8/2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2007

      Situational Ethics
      Lord, who may dwell in Your sanctuary? Who may live on Your holy hill?
      He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous,
      who speaks the truth from his heart.
      Psalm 15:1-2
      "I cannot believe they are not going to honor my bonus agreement?"
      said the executive who was about to take another position in a new city.
      Her understanding of her present work agreement called for a bonus at
      the end of the year. management saw the situation differently. "It's not
      right. I am entitled to that bonus," she complained.
      It was time to leave. The company had given her a laptop to use.
      However, when she left, she decided that because the company was not
      going to pay her bonus she was entitled to, she would simply keep the
      laptop as compensation due her. "And they would never miss it," she
      reasoned, She was now in the employment of the new company. As each day
      passed, she grew more uneasy about her decision. She could not get it
      off her mind. Finally, she concluded that the Holy Spirit was telling
      her this decision was wrong and that she needed to call her former boss
      to confess her action. She called him and confessed what she had done
      and why she had done it. Her boss accepted her confession and forgave
      her. Strangely enough, he allowed her to keep the laptop computer.
      Truth never changes. It is absolute. When we make decisions on
      other actions that are taken, we move into making decisions based on the
      situation, not truth and righteousness. The executive may indeed have
      been wronged, but she had to address the wrong in the appropriate way.
      Trying to compensate for the wrong by doing something that violates
      another scriptural principle is called situational ethics. If the
      employer had never wronged the executive, do you think she would have
      felt justified in taking the computer? Probably not. When you isolate
      the two situations, you see that one action was taken in response to the
      other action.
      Have you ever had any experiences in which you have used
      situational ethics? The Lord desires His people to have a higher
      standard, even at the cost of being wronged. Ask the Lord to reveal any
      business practices that may indicate situational ethics. You might be
      surprised what will happen when you do the right thing.
      TGIF Today God Is First by Os Hillman, 9/26/2007

      The same types of things can happen outside of work that can cause us to

      use situational ethics; at home, shopping, with friends, etc.
      Ask yourself, "What Would Jesus Do?"
      In God's Love, Ross

      Subscribe; send email to rossboss@... and put "subscribe" in
      the subject line