TIME TO KEEP SILENT

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2007
      TIME TO KEEP SILENT
      "There is a time for everything. a time to be silent and a time to
      speak." (Eccl 3:1, 7, NIV).
      "Saul also went to his home in Gibeah, accompanied by valiant men
      whose hearts God had touched. But some troublemakers said, "How can
      this fellow save us?" They despised him and brought him no gifts. But
      Saul kept silent" (1 Sam 10:26-27, NIV).
      Samuel has just publicly anointed Saul as the first king of Israel.
      The people were happy that they had had what they wanted. Some even
      immediately enlisted themselves into his service. However, some
      worthless fellows looked down on him. They even voiced out their
      displeasure to the kingship of Saul: "How can this one deliver us?" (1
      Sam 10:27, NASU).
      They scorned him and did not give him the honor due to him. Saul
      nonetheless did something that is noteworthy. The Bible says he kept
      silent.
      There are times that we also have to keep silent to some criticisms
      and disapproval. We should know that all people cannot love us and
      approve what we are doing.
      Saul kept silent and waited till when God would vindicate him. The
      time did come. The man that was despised now turned a deliverer when
      the Ammonites came to disgrace the people of Israel (see 1 Sam 11).
      Remember the psalmist's prayer: Meanwhile my enemies are trying to
      kill me. They plot my ruin and spend all their waking hours planning
      treachery. But I am deaf to all their threats; I am silent before them
      as a man who cannot speak. I have nothing to say. For I am waiting for
      you, O Lord my God. Come and protect me (Ps 38:12-15, TLB).
      No matter the accusation of people, if you are right, let God
      vindicate you. Silence, they say, sometimes, is the best answer to a
      fool.