Living Life God's Way 9/24/2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2007

      A servant-hearted attitude keeps us from a self-minded attitude.

      Servant - Hearted

      Therefore, since God in his mercy has given us this new way, we never
      give up. We reject all shameful deeds
      and underhanded methods. We don't try to trick anyone or distort the
      word of God. We tell the truth before
      God, and all who are honest know this, If the Good News we preach is
      hidden behind a veil, it is hidden
      only from people who are perishing. Satan, who is the god of this world,
      has blinded the minds of
      those who don't believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of
      the Good News. They don't
      understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact
      likeness of God. You see,
      we don't go around preaching about ourselves. We preach that Jesus
      Christ is Lord, and we
      ourselves are your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, "Let
      there be light in the
      darkness," has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the
      glory of God
      that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ. We now have this light shining
      in our hearts,
      but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great
      treasure. This makes
      it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.
      2 Corinthians 4: 1-7

      In his fine little volume In the Name of Jesus, Henri Nouwen
      mentions three very real, albeit subtle temptations any servant of
      Christ Faces. They correspond with the three temptations our Lord faced
      before He began His earthly ministry. They also fit with three
      observations the apostle Paul makes in his letter to the Corinthians (2
      Cor, 4:1-7).
      First Temptation: To be self-sufficient and self-reliant, Instead
      of being so self-assured, we need to be open, unguarded, and vulnerable.

      Second Temptation: To be spectacular...a celebrity mentality, In
      Nouwen's words, "Jesus refused to be a stunt man...He did not come to
      walk on hot coals, swallow fire, or put His hand in a lion's mouth to
      demonstrate He had something worthwhile to say."
      Third Temptation: To be powerful...in charge. To lead is
      appropriate, necessary and good. But to push, to manipulate, to be in
      full control...never! To say it simply, one God is sufficient.
      Servanthood implies diligence, faithfulness, loyalty, and humility.
      Servants don't compete...or grandstand..or polish their image...or grab
      the spotlight. They know their job, they admit their limitations, they
      do what they do quietly and consistently.
      Servants cannot control anyone or everything, and they shouldn't
      try.
      Servants cannot change or "fix" people.
      Servants cannot meet most folks expectations.
      Servants cannot concern themselves with those who get credit.
      Servants cannot minister in the flesh or all alone.
      Let me suggest five practical guidelines for cultivating the right kind
      of servant habits.
      Whatever we do, let's do more with others. Ministry is not a solo,
      it's a chorus.
      Whenever we do it, let's place the emphasis on quality, not
      quantity. Excellence, not expansion, is our
      goal.
      Whenever we go to do it, let's do it the same as if we were doing
      it among those who know us the best.
      Not only will this keep us accountable, it'll guard us from
      exaggeration.
      Whoever may respond, let's keep a level head. If someone
      criticizes, don't allow it to get you down. If
      someone idolizes, don't tolerate or fantasize such foolishness.
      However long we minister, let's model the Master...a servant
      -hearted and a grace-oriented style.
      Let's serve...in the name of Jesus.
      from Day to Day with Charles Swindoll
      in the subject line