WHO IS YOUR "GOD"?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2007
      Dear Beloved,
      WHO IS YOUR "GOD"?
      "When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the
      mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, 'Come, make us gods who
      will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of
      Egypt, we don't know what has happened to him'" (Exodus 32:1, NIV).
      "As for us, the LORD is our God, and we have not forsaken him" (2
      Chronicles 13:10, NIV).
      The nation of Israel that Moses led out of bondage in Egypt was
      stubborn. Their stubbornness against God's plan started to manifest
      the day Pharaoh increased their burden for asking for "a three-day
      journey into the desert to offer sacrifices the LORD" (see Exodus 5).
      However, their statement in Exodus 32:1 indicates that Moses had
      become their god. When Moses stayed with the LORD on their behalf and
      they did not see him, they wanted another "god" that would continue to
      lead them in their journey.
      Was Moses really the person that led them out of Egypt or he was just
      an instrument in the hands of God, the real Deliverer? Was it
      necessary for the people of Israel to see Moses before they could
      proceed in their journey to the Promise Land? Should they have any
      visible "god" that would lead them to their destination?
      Many at times we also think and behave like the Israelites. We worship
      a particular person or thing. Knowingly or unknowingly, we idolize
      such person or thing. Any attempt to lose the person or thing, we
      would also lose hope and try to find alternative in another person or
      thing.
      To some people, pastors and other leaders are "gods." When the pastors
      or the leaders are in sight, such people would be active in the church
      activities and in their spiritual lives. Reverse would be the case
      when the pastor or the leader is not.
      Who or what is your "god"? In who or what do you put your hope? The
      writer of the book of Hebrews admonishes, "Let us fix our eyes on
      Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith?" (12:2, NIV). Fixing
      your eyes on any other person or thing will land you in the same
      syndrome as the people of Israel.
      Let the LORD God be your God. Trust only in Him. He will not let you
      down. "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the
      name of the LORD our God" (Psalm 20:7, NIV).

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29 1:39 PM
        Dearly Beloved,

[...]

        This message was first sent out on February 29, 2004.