HOW LONG?

    Message 1 of 1 , May 13 8:58 AM

      HOW LONG?

      "How long will the wicked, O LORD, how long will the wicked be jubilant? Who
      will rise up for me against the wicked? Who will take a stand for me against
      evildoers?" (Psalm 94:3, 16, NIV).

      I was reading the headlines of an online newspaper recently when I came
      across this headline as a special spotlight, "Christians Kidnapped And
      Forced Into Islam In Northern Nigeria!" Intuitively, I clicked on the
      headline to read the story. In the story I discovered how the Muslims in the
      northern part of Nigeria are abducting Christian children and forcing them
      to become Muslims by hiding them from their parents and teaching them by
      force the tenets of Islam. Unfortunately, the security operatives there are
      helpless as the perpetrators of this evil act continue their nefarious
      activities unchecked. It is such an alarming story to me that I had to copy
      it and send it to all the people in my address book and those in my Yahoo
      Messenger list. (Read the story at *
      http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1959/
      *.)

      As if this is not enough, just a week after its publication, it was in the
      news again that some Muslims pupils killed a female Christian teacher in
      that same part of the country because she confiscated a copy of Koran from
      one of them during an examination. The prompt intervention of the police
      prevented the incident from becoming a riot. (Read the full story at *
      http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L21562007.htm*. Also read a related
      story at *
      http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2007/mar/28/national-28-03-2007-01.htm
      *). A similar incident led to the death of many people and destruction of
      churches and properties of Christians in such areas. As usual, the security
      operatives, who confirmed the lynching of the lady, said they are
      investigating the crime. Such investigations are never conclusive, and even
      where they are conclusive, the perpetrators usually go unpunished.
      Surprisingly, some people do not see anything bad in these atrocities!

      The question that always comes to my mind when I hear of such stories is
      "How long will this continue unchecked?" This will make me allude to a
      message I posted after the July 7, 2005 bombings in London. Here are some of
      the questions I asked then: for how long will these heartless people
      continue to break the hearts of people throughout the world? For how long
      will they triumph in their inhuman acts? For how long will they be jubilant
      in their hiding places for their seeming success? Who will rescue the world
      from these terrorists that are making life unsafe? Will they continue in
      these callous acts unchecked and unpunished? Who will rise up against these
      people and avenge for the evils they have done?

      The psalmist also asked similar questions in Psalm 94 when his nation was
      facing some calamities. However, he found solace in God, the Judge of the
      earth. He called on Him in verses 1-3 to rise up and avenge.

      Interestingly, in verses 8-11, he described the senselessness of these
      wicked people and the fact that God was, and still is, not indifferent to
      these situations. He gave a reassuring fact in verse 14, "�the LORD will not
      reject his people; he will never forsake his inheritance" (NIV).

      No matter what these wicked people may be doing, the Lord "will repay them
      for their sins and destroy them for their wickedness; the LORD our God will
      destroy them" (Psalm 94:23, NIV). So, if you are have been doing evil, know
      that the Lord will repay you one day according to your deeds.