ATTITUDE TOWARD ENEMIES

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7 2:59 AM

      ATTITUDE TOWARD ENEMIES
      (CAN YOU DO LIKE JOB DID? [Series 6])

      "If I have rejoiced at my enemy's misfortune or gloated over the
      trouble that came to him - I have not allowed my mouth to sin by
      invoking a curse against his lifeā€¦" (Job 31:29-30, NIV).

      Another thing that Job used to defend his righteousness was his
      attitude toward his perceived enemies. He could say it that he had
      never "rejoiced at [his] enemy's misfortune" nor invoke "a curse
      against [the enemy's] life" (verses 29-30). The human nature makes one
      not only to rejoice at the misfortunes of one's enemies, but to also
      wish them misfortunes and even invoke curses against them. Many people
      allow this human nature to control them in doing such things against
      their perceived enemies. However, Job did not do so.

      Jesus Christ teaches, "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your
      neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and
      pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father
      in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and
      sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who
      love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors
      doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing
      more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore,
      as your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:43-48, NIV). Jesus
      demonstrated this on the cross when He prayed for those that crucified
      Him (see Luke 23:34). Stephen, the first martyr in Christian history,
      also did a similar thing (see Acts 7:60).

      In Paul's words, "Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do
      what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as
      it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge,
      my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is
      mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord. On the contrary: 'If
      your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something
      to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.' Do
      not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" (Romans
      12:17-21, NIV). Also Peter admonished, "Do not repay evil with evil or
      insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called
      so that you may inherit a blessing" (1 Peter 3:9, NIV).

      What is your attitude to your perceived enemies? Do you love them? Are
      you praying for them? Are you not rejoicing at their misfortunes and
      even wishing them more misfortunes? A regenerated man will have a
      positive attitude toward his perceived enemies.