A LEADER OR A SERVANT? (Pray for Nigeria!)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2007

      This year is an election year in Nigeria. The election is unique because it
      will usher in new set of people as leaders of the nation. It will be the
      first real civilian-to-civilian transition that the forty-six-year old
      nation will experience. The elections suppose to hold on April 14 and 19 of
      this year, but the certainty that it would be held in those days is very
      slim. The government is resolved to go ahead with the elections; the
      opposition parties are not happy, as some of their key candidates have been
      disqualified. In fact, some of them have gone to court to stop the holding
      of the elections. This made me to decide to resend the message below that I
      sent in April 2003 when similar elections were held instead of the message I
      have prepared for the week, and especially to solicit for your prayers for
      Nigeria during this transition period:

      A LEADER OR A SERVANT?

      "If today you will be a servant to these people and serve them and give them
      a favorable answer, they will always be your servants" (1 Kings 12:7, NIV).

      "You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over
      them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with
      you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,
      and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man
      did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom
      for many" (Mark 10:42-45, NIV).

      Another general election in Nigeria is around the corner. Many people are
      aspiring to political leadership positions. The incumbents have adopted the
      sit-tight syndrome. Others are scheming to take their positions. Most of the
      incumbents cannot sleep with their two eyes closed now because they did not
      serve the people they claim they are leading. Will the new ones also serve
      them if they are elected? That is the question we are asking ourselves, as
      we want to go to the poll.

      Rehoboam son of Solomon found himself in a similar situation after the death
      of his father. He wanted to succeed his father as the king of Israel. The
      people told him their problem during the reign of his father, and ask him
      about what they should expect during his reign. It was like asking for his
      manifesto. He went to the elders that used to advise his father. They gave
      him fine advice that any person that wants to be a leader today has to think
      of: "If today you will be a servant to these people and serve them and give
      them a favorable answer, they will always be your servants" (1 Kings 12:7,
      NIV). In other words, if you want to lead people, be prepare to serve them.
      The people in turn will become your servants.

      Jesus Christ also gave the same principle in Mark 10:42-45: if you want to
      be a leader, first be the servant of the people you want to lead. Then you
      will be seen as a good leader. Jesus Christ did not only teach this, He also
      demonstrated it by "taking the very nature of a servant" (Philippians 2: 7)
      in coming to this world not come to be served, but to serve other people.

      Rehoboam did not heed to the advice of the elders, and it cost him the most
      part of the kingdom. Jesus Christ heeded to the advice, and He is given the
      Name above all names (Philippians 2: 6-11).

      It is not bad to aspire to become a leader. However, are you aspiring to
      serve the people or to lead them (lord it over them)? If you will be a good
      leader, first be the servant of your people. Our call as leader is
      servant-leadership.

      SPECIAL APPEAL
      - Please pray for Nigeria, as we are about to elect new leaders.
      - Pray for free and fair elections.
      - Pray that this civilian-to-civilian transition will be a success.
      - Pray against any form of violence before, during and after the elections.
      - Pray for the absolute will of God to be done.