"I LOVE YOU"

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2007

      As people are celebrating the Valentine's Day, let me resend this message on
      love to you:

      "I LOVE YOU"

      "Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good"
      (Romans 12:9, NASB).

      The sentence "I love you" is common among people, especially people of
      opposite sex, either married or single. The sentence is so common that most
      people have lost or misinterpreted the real meaning of the most important
      word in it � love. To some, "I love you," means I want to get something from
      you. To others, love is the glorified word for lust. The intention of "I
      love you" of others is to gratify their selfish desire. No wonder, love has
      become one of the most common words in any language.

      What does love means to you? How are you demonstrating it? Do you really
      mean it when you tell somebody, "I love you"? Paul described what love is
      and it is not in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, "Love is patient, love is kind. It
      does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not
      self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love
      does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects,
      always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails" (NIV). So
      it means that when I say "I love you," what I am saying in essence is that:
      I will be patient with you; I will be kind with you; I will not envy you; I
      will not elevate myself higher than you; I will not be self-centered; I will
      not be easily provoked by you; I will keep no record of any wrong you do to
      me; I will not have hidden agenda against you; I will be truthful to you; I
      will protect you; I will trust you; I will have hope in you; I will
      persevere with you; and my love is not temporary. Anything short of these is
      hypocrisy.

      The love between Jonathan and David is a good example of a love without
      hypocrisy. Jonathan demonstrated all those attributes of love described
      above to David (see 1 Samuel 18:3-4; 20:1-42; 23:18).

      I love you. Do I?