WHY CHRISTMAS?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2006

      WHY CHRISTMAS?

      "She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name JESUS,
      because he will save his people from their sins" (Matthew 1:21, NIV).

      Christmas season is here. It is the most popular and most festive of
      all seasons. Companies and other institutions celebrate the season in
      a grand style. Kids always long for the season because of its
      merriment, especially the visit to "Santa Claus" – who gives them
      gifts. Many people send greeting cards and gifts to their loved ones.
      Nevertheless, why Christmas? Why celebrating it?

      Christmas commemorates the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ in a manger
      in Bethlehem some two thousand years ago. What made the Jesus who is
      in very nature God became like us? What made Him appear like ordinary
      person? The Bible unveils at least eight reasons. Jesus Christ came to
      the world to:
      i. save people from their sins (Matthew 1:21; John 1:29);
      ii. call sinners to repentance (Matthew 9:12, 13; Mark 2:17; Luke
      5:32; 1 Timothy 1:15);
      iii. save the lost (Matthew 18:11; Luke 9:55; 19:10; John 3:17);
      iv. fulfill the law (Matthew 5:17);
      v. set people free from the darkness (John 12:46);
      vi. preach the gospel (Mark 1:38);
      vii. bear witness to the truth (John 18:37);
      viii. do the will of God (John 6:38).

      From the above points, Jesus Christ came to restore us to God. What
      about you? Have you come to God? Have you accepted Him as your
      personal Savior and Lord?

      Celebrating Christmas is meaningless if you have not accepted Him. The
      purpose of Christmas is the eternal salvation of you and me. Let this
      historic season fulfill that purpose in your life.