CONDUCT, NOT CONDOM

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2006

      CONDUCT, NOT CONDOM

      "It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid
      sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own
      body in a way that is holy and honorable" (1 Thessalonians 4:3-4,
      NIV).

      Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), a clinical syndrome (a
      group of various illnesses that together characterize a disease)
      resulting from damage to the immune system caused by infection with
      the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), has been on the rampage since
      early 1980s. The unfortunate thing about it is that no cure has been
      found for it. Therefore, there have been many campaigns to prevent it
      and to manage it in the lives of those that it has infected or
      affected.

      Because it is contacted mainly by sexual intercourse, the use of
      condom has been one of the ways advocated by many people to prevent
      the spread of this deadly disease. This has made many people to be
      more promiscuous. It even seems that people are promoting the use of
      condom to the detriment of being faithful to one's spouse, or total
      abstinence from sex intercourse till marriage, which is the original
      will and purpose of God. However, research has shown that the use of
      condom is not totally safe to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS. This new
      discovery has vindicated some religious organizations that preach
      total abstinence for unmarried people or faithfulness to one's spouse
      for married people as one of the ways to prevent the spread of the
      virus.

      Recently, I was in a gathering where some representatives of an
      organization came to enlighten us more about the prevention and
      management of HIV/AIDS. These people were the first non-religious
      people to say it openly to my hearing that they do not advocate
      condom, but conduct as a way of preventing the spread of the virus. To
      them, since condom is not totally safe, it is better to switch from
      condom to conduct – a manner in which an unmarried person will totally
      abstain from sexual intercourse, and where a married person will be
      faithful to his/her spouse.

      Yes! Conduct is better than condom because apart from preventing you
      from that deadly virus and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs),
      it will make you to do according to the will and purpose of God
      (Exodus 20:14; Leviticus 18:20; 20:10; Proverbs 6:24-35; Matthew
      5:27-28; 1 Corinthians 6:9; Ephesians 5:3-5; Colossians 3:5-6; 1
      Thessalonians 4:3-8; Hebrews 12:16; 13:4).

      HIV/AIDS is real! Conduct yourself in godly ways and take note of
      other prevention of its spread so that you will not be infected by it.