    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2006

      "And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they
      will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your
      Father knows what you need before you ask him" (Matthew 6:7-8, NIV).

      A pastor-colleague who visited my family early in the morning on day for an
      important assignment met us having our family devotions. After the worship
      service, he enquired from me about the normal duration of our daily family
      devotions. I told him that I do not care about the time, but the quality of
      the devotions. He then shared with me his experience with somebody that came
      to him for prayers. When he used a certain number of minutes in praying for
      the person, the person was surprised that the prayer session was over so
      soon. He then asked the person the number of minutes or hours he believes it
      would take a curse invoked on another person to take effect. The person
      believed that a curse that is less than a minute could be of eternal
      consequence on the person it was invoked. The pastor and I then discussed
      briefly about the quality and quantity of time to be spent for a prayer to
      be effectual.

      Some people are of the opinion that the longer the prayer, the more
      effective it is, or the more you repeat the same request at a particular
      time, the sooner God answers such request. This has made many people to
      engage themselves in unnecessary long prayers, saying of the same thing for
      a number of time, marathon prayer sessions, all-night prayer vigils, and so
      on so that God would quickly answer their prayers. Some Christian
      denominations and some religions even adapt a way of using kinds of tool to
      aid them in repeating their prayers in a particular number of times. Most of
      these beliefs and practices are contrary to the teachings of the Bible about
      prayer. What matter most in our prayers is the quality, not quantity, of
      time we spend in saying the prayers. A Bible commentator says, "Christ does
      not fix the length of our prayers. He says that we should not repeat the
      same thing, as though God did not hear; and it is not improbable that he
      intended to condemn the practice of long prayers. His own supplications were
      remarkably short."

      Let me point it out here that I am not talking about perseverance in
      requesting something from God � a situation where one persistently continues
      to ask for a particular thing from God until God answers the prayer (as
      Jesus Christ taught it in Luke 18:1-7). The Bible teaches that we should
      pray all the time (Luke 18:1; 21:36; Romans 12:12; Ephesians 6:18;
      Colossians 4:2).

      The question then is what matter most in our prayer? Is it the quality or
      the quantity of time we spend to say it? This is a question that we must
      answer as we go to the Lord in prayers.