“WHAT ARE WE TAKING TO SCHOOL?”

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2006

      "WHAT ARE WE TAKING TO SCHOOL?"

      "The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the
      Israelites started wailing and said, 'If only we had meat to eat! We
      remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost--also the cucumbers,
      melons, leeks, onions and garlic. But now we have lost our appetite;
      we never see anything but this manna!'" (Numbers 11:4-6, NIV).

      My six-year-old son developed a habit recently. Immediately he wakes
      up in the morning, his first enquiry even before greeting his mother
      is, "What are we taking to school?" When his mother told him what he
      and his younger sister would take to school for their breakfast, it is
      certain that he would have something to say negatively about the
      answer. His mother and I have been trying to curb this habit, but he
      always seems to be right in his opinion.

      Many of us also have such habit in our relationship with God. We are
      always concerned about what God can do for us, and not what we can do
      for Him. Even, when He gives us something, we are not grateful, but
      full of complaint for not giving us exactly what we want.

      The people of Israel had such habit when they were in the wilderness
      on their way to the Promise Land. They used to complain virtually on
      everything God did or refused to do for them. They always forgot the
      goodness of God for them and thereby were not grateful unto Him.

      Do you also have such habit? Are you preoccupied with what you can get
      from God to the extent that you do not see reason to appreciate Him
      for His goodness and faithfulness? Do not let your attitude to God be
      that of complaint, but that of thanksgiving, even when He does not do
      what you want for you. Paul admonished, "…give thanks in all
      circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1
      Thessalonians 5:18, NIV).