"THIS IS MY BODY"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2006

      "THIS IS MY BODY"

      "And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying,
      'This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me'" (Luke 22:19,
      NIV).

      Luke 22:7-23 and other parallel passages of the Bible narrate the last
      supper of our Lord Jesus Christ with His disciples. Undoubtedly, the supper
      was very significant for Jesus Christ because He knew then that it would be
      His last before His death and resurrection. Therefore, He took time to give
      them some instructions as they were eating it. One of those instructions is
      that it should become a remembrance event that they should be doing in His
      honour. This event has become one of the ordinances that we observe today.
      Nevertheless, its recurrence has made many people to lose its meanings.

      Jesus Christ said, "This is my body given for you�" (Luke 22:19, NIV),
      meaning His impending sacrificial death on the cross for the mankind. This
      sacrificial giving of oneself is lacking in the lives of many people today.
      In his first epistle, John said, "This is how we know what love is: Jesus
      Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our
      brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need
      but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?" (1 John 3:16-17,
      NIV). It may not necessarily mean to die for others, but it may involve
      something that will cost us dearly. It may be a selfless service, something
      that we will not get instant reward from, or any other thing that only God
      can reward.

      The Lord's Supper is reminding us of the sacrificial love of Jesus Christ.
      Let us also demonstrate it to one another.