Living Life God's Way 2/27/2006; Why Don't We Take God More Seriously?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2006

      No one keeps up his enthusiasm automatically. Enthusiasm must be
      nourished with new actions, new aspirations, new efforts, new visions.
      Anonymous

      Why Don't We Take God More Seriously?
      Then He said to them, "Why do you sleep?
      Rise and pray, lest you enter into temptation."
      Luke 22:46
      If we're not as wide-awake and earnest in our efforts toward God as
      we should be, it's important to ask ourselves why this is so. There are
      many possibilities, but the following four reasons explain why most of
      us are so complacent. On an ordinary day, we don't take God more
      seriously because:

      * We don't think we need to. At the doctrinal level, perhaps we
      believe that our salvation is assured no matter what we do. As we
      see the Scriptures, diligence and devotion to God are non-issues;
      human effort is not necessary for spiritual maturity.
      * We don't think we have to. We may be bound by the tradition of
      "nominal" Christianity. Interested only in bare minimums, we dare
      anyone to prove that getting to heaven requires more than going to
      church...once in a while.
      * We're fearful and discouraged. Dragged down by past struggles,
      we're doubtful that it'll do any good to try again. We've broken so
      many commitments to God, we're afraid to make any more. Our
      spiritual growth is smothered under a blanket of pessimism.
      * We're lazy. Like the lukewarm Laodiceans (Revelation 3:15-18),
      we're negligent. What began as occasional outward acts of
      procrastination has become a settled attribute of our inward
      character. We don't see our apathy as a character trait, of course,
      but God does. He knows the dilapidated condition of our heart.

      In all honesty, this last point is the crux of the matter for most
      of us. There comes a time when we have to ask ourselves what kind of
      people we are. We may have to admit that passion for God is just not a
      part of our character as it stands today - we've let ourselves get to
      the point where we don't really care about great causes. And if that's
      so, we're unfit for the human race. Malcolm Forbes put it bluntly:
      "People who never get carried away should be."
      God is, of course, the greatest of all great causes. And if He is
      to get from us the attention He deserves, we must be unflinchingly
      honest about where we've been, where we really are, and where we truly
      want to go. It will take time and patience, but we can, if we choose,
      acquire the character it takes to take God seriously.
      WordPoints Daily Devotionals; 1/18/2004