Living Life God's Way 12/29/2005; The Making Of An Encourager

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2005

      Sometimes we forget this simple truth: The broken pieces of ourselves
      are often our greatest teachers. It is from that we learn our strength.
      It is
      from them that we learn compassion, wisdom and understanding, devotion,
      faith and insight. It is from them that we learn how to pray, how to
      cry, how
      to listen, how to reach out for help. It is from them that we learn how
      strive for better, how to empathize and offer help.
      unknown

      The Making Of An Encourager
      Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of
      compassion
      and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that
      we can comfort
      those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from
      God. For just
      as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through
      Christ our comfort
      overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation;
      if we are comforted,
      it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the
      same sufferings
      we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as
      you share in
      our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.
      2 Corinthians 1:3-7
      People love encouragers, and God intends that we each be one. An
      encourager is able to stand beside someone else to give hope and the
      motivation to persevere through difficult times. We are not born with
      this ability, but we can follow several essential steps in order to
      become capable of supporting and empathizing with a hurting friend.
      First, we must be willing to experience pain. The apostle Paul, who was
      great encourager, said that we reach out to others with the "comfort
      with which we ourselves are comforted by God." In order to experience
      comfort and have it flow through us, we must suffer some heartache.
      There is power in the touch of a person who has been in the valley. A
      person who experiences pain does not have empty words, but hope.
      Second, we need to learn the principles that are available to us in our
      suffering, If we can view our heartache as a class in God's university
      that we yield us a degree in encouragement, much of the sting will
      dissipate. The Lord teaches us to place our trust in Him alone, and then
      we can pass that wisdom on to others.
      The most effective encouragers are those who say, "There was nothing I
      could do but cry out to God. Let me tell you what God in response to my
      cry." If we try to escape pain, we will miss out on the principles
      learned from suffering; then we cannot be useful to others. God builds
      encouragers from the material of a life willing to be broken.
      In Touch Early Light Devotional; 1/28/2005