THINGS OFFERED TO IDOLS

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2005

      THINGS OFFERED TO IDOLS

      "Therefore concerning the eating of things offered to idols, we know that an
      idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one" (1
      Corinthians 8:4, NKJV).

      The ancient city of Corinth was a cosmopolitan city. This made the young
      church in the city to have many socio-cultural problems. Paul had to write
      many letters to them to address some of the problems that confronted the
      church. One of such problems addressed by Paul in 1 Corinthians 8 had to do
      with things offered to idols. These were by and large meat offered in
      sacrifice, and then either brought for sale in the market, or served up at
      the feasts held in honour of idols, at their temples, or at the houses of
      their adherents. Some of the Corinthian Christians were of the opinion that
      it does not matter to eat such meat especially one bought in market; others
      opined that it does matter and that it can become a stumbling-block to young
      Christians. Of most concern was the meat offered to idols and later used to
      entertain people. Should a Christian partake in such entertainment?

      Well, to Paul, even the idols are nothing compared to God, the Creator of
      the universe. The idols are just mere gods. So, eating things offered to
      idols does not matter. However, because of conscience, especially of the
      young and weak Christians, one may abstain from eating such things offered
      to idols.

      What are the things seemingly offered to idols around you? These may not
      necessarily be meat or food used in shrines, but day-to-day activities that
      are controversial and that may cause young and weak Christians to stumble.
      What is your opinion about such things?

      Paul later gave this instruction: "'Everything is permissible'-- but not
      everything is beneficial. 'Everything is permissible'-- but not everything
      is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.
      �So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of
      God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of
      God�" (1 Corinthians 10:23-32, NIV. Read Romans 14 for Paul's further
      instruction on this matter).

      In His service,

      Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor)

      Prayer Requests:

      1. Lord, do not let me cause others to stumble by my actions and words.

      2. Let my actions and words always glorify you, Lord, and build up others
      around me.

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2013

[...]

        NB

        This message was first sent out on December 4, 2005.

        "I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. FOR TO ME, TO LIVE IS CHRIST AND TO DIE IS GAIN" (Philippians 1:20-21, NIV).