WHATEVER HAPPENS

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2005

      WHATEVER HAPPENS

      "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love
      him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28, NIV).

      The writer of the book of the Acts of the Apostles recorded many events that
      happened in the history of the early church. Most of these events were to
      the advancement of the gospel, and they brought glory to the name of God.
      Some of them are what we can regard to as tragedy, while some ended on
      joyous note.

      I received a text message in my mobile phone early one morning. The message
      reads thus: "Whatever you are doing, please pray for Pastor Ferdie Flores,
      [a] missionary in East Timor. He is going to be executed today by beating.
      Please forward to all Christians." As I read the message, the story of
      Stephen in Acts chapters 6 and 7 came to my mind. I immediately based my
      prayer on that story that even if that missionary is been executed that day,
      God should used it, as He did that of Stephen, to advance the gospel in the
      area. However, when my wife was leading us some minutes later in our family
      morning devotion, she used another story in the same book of Acts to pray
      for the missionary. In her own case, she prayed that God should rescue the
      missionary as He rescued Peter from the prison in Acts 12.

      Many other people sent the same text message to me that day, which meant
      that many Christians received the message and prayed for the missionary, but
      I do not know what eventually happened to him that day.

      However, whatever happened, I know that God would be glorified in the event.
      I can say like Paul that, "And we know that in all things God works for the
      good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"
      (Romans 8:28, NIV). Just as God was glorified in the death of Stephen and
      made the gospel to spread to other places, so also, He will be glorify in
      the seeming death of this missionary and make the gospel to spread in East
      Timor and other places in Asia. Likewise, just God glorified Himself in
      rescuing Peter from prison on the eve of his anticipated execution, and made
      the Christians to be stronger in their witnessing of the gospel, God will
      glorify Himself in rescuing His own from troubles and persecutions and make
      them stronger in their Christian faith.

      So, whatever happens, let your aspiration be like that of Paul, "I eagerly
      expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient
      courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by
      life or by death" (Philippians 1:20, NIV).

      Prayer Requests:

      1. Pray that God will be glorified in whatever happens in your life.

      2. Pray for all those that are facing persecutions because of the gospel
      especially in East Timor and other Asian countries.

      NB

      I will write a do study on this message based on Philippians 1:17-30. If you
      have interest in having a copy of the study, write me directly at <
      spiritualdigest@...>. God bless you!