THE TESTIMONY OF A MOTHER-IN-LAW

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2005

      THE TESTIMONY OF A MOTHER-IN-LAW

      "All the widows stood around [Peter], crying and showing him the robes and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them" (Acts 9:39, NIV).

      Recently, I was with one of my church members who has just lost her son-in-law to condole with her. As she was lamenting the death of the young man who married her daughter about four years ago, she was recounting his goodness to her, her husband, the extended family, and especially his wife. To her, the man has spoiled her daughter with love and care that she, the mother-in-law doubt if her daughter can find such a loving and caring husband again. She also wondered if she could ever have such a nice son-in-law who she referred to as
      her own son.

      This testimony touched me. While I do not pray that I die before my mother-in-law, that testimony made me to think about myself and what she, my mother-in-law, and other people around me would say about me now and when I pass away. Would I be described as a nice, good and loving husband like that man? Would people be able to sincerely say good things about me?

      This reminds me of Dorcas in the above passage. The Bible recorded that she "was always doing good and helping the poor" (Acts 9:36, NIV). No wonder the widows, apparently, ones of her beneficiaries, were testifying to her goodness when Peter came to condole with them and eventually raise her from the dead.

      What would people say about you when you pass away? Would you be described as a nice and good man/woman? Would people be able to sincerely say good things about you?

      Another important aspect to this is what would become of you after death. The Bible says, "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment" (Hebrews 9:27, NKJV). Would you be commended or condemned in this judgment by God after your death? This depends on you and your relationship with Jesus Christ while on earth. Think about these things!