DOES GOD HAVE PLEASURE IN WICKEDNESS?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2005
      Dear Beloved,

      Some people misunderstood my interpretation and application of some passages of the Bible in regards to the recent terrorist attacks. My last message generated a lot of controversies among some of my readers that I have to make some clarifications about God and the evils in the world. This will lead us to the message of this week:

      DOES GOD HAVE PLEASURE IN WICKEDNESS?

      “Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, O house of Israel?’” (Ezekiel 33:11, NIV).

      “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9, NIV).

      The fact that God has given the world to over to its sinful desires and their consequences because of the godlessness and wickedness of the world (Romans 1:18ff) has made some to think that God is wicked and is not worthy of our worship. To such people, why would good God allow His creation to be suffering? Why does He not make the world to be free of all these untold hardships if indeed He is sovereign?

      God is indeed sovereign and still has the total control of the whole universe. However, man, as a rational being, chooses to be free from God and does what he likes. Right from the Garden of Eden when he chose to disobey God, God has left him to face the consequences of his choice.

      Some will protest that that was Adam. Yes, Adam sinned and through him sin entered into the world (Romans 5:12). However, the rebellious acts of people today are worse than the disobedience of Adam. And as long as people are rebellious to God, God will allow Satan and his cohorts to torment the world.

      It is a fact that there are some righteous people in the world. The fact still remains that when the wicked are suffering, the righteous will not be spared because they live in the world. A day is coming anyway that God will save them completely from the very presence of sin and its horrible effects on the world (see Romans 8:18-21).

      However, in spite of the rebellious acts of the world, God does not in any way have pleasure in the suffering, hardship, and final death of the people of the world. In fact, He is lenient in His dealing with us. The psalmist says, “If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?” (Psalm 130:3, NIV). His pleasure is in our coming back to Him. That is the reason He made a way of escape in Jesus Christ “that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16, NIV).

      God indeed does not have pleasure in any wickedness, but He is still pleading today, “Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die?”