Living Life God's Way 7/1/2005; Self Control Needed

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005

      The confession of evil works is the first beginning of good works.
      Augustine of Hippo

      Self Control Needed
      Of course, there is great gain in godliness combined with
      contentment....
      if we have food and clothing, we will be content with these.
      1 Timothy 6: 6, 8
      Let's face it, we do not like to take the blame. When I was a
      child, I took scissors to my hair and to a pair of tights (not all in
      one day, thank God, or I might not be here now!). Each time when
      confronted with what I had done, I said I had no idea how that happened.
      I didn't want to take responsibility for my actions. Even though I have
      grown tremendously since those days, there are still times when taking
      responsibility for who I am and what I do is not any easier.
      When confronted with something in ourselves we don't like, it is
      far easier to blame something/someone else, far easier to say it was our
      parents, or the situation, the people we were with, or the events that
      took place. But here's reality: we are each responsible for who we are
      and how we act and react. The words from 1 Timothy 6 above are clear: if
      we have no self control leading to godliness, then anything can and will
      rob us of godly contentment. There is nothing to keep us firm and
      strong, nothing to protect us from the whims of the world. We will
      always want more and be discontent. Contentment, I believe, is not
      something that just happens. It begins when we believe the things of God
      are better than those of the world. It is something that comes when we
      seek to please God above all else. If we decide to allow God to rule our
      lives, so that we may live lives of godliness rather than worldliness,
      then with God's help contentment can come.
      To some it may seem like rules and regulations, but of one is self
      controlled, if one takes responsibility for who we are and what they
      will and will not do, and if these decisions have been based on a devout
      relationship with our Savior, Jesus, - then there is great freedom in
      self control: Freedom to live a life filled with love and contentment, a
      life more fulfilling than anything we can imagine, a life in which Jesus
      resides and works, a life that has eternal perspective - not just when
      we die, but today as well.
      Today, try focusing on all that God has given you and say thanks
      for it. Because Jesus set you free, you can choose to be content rather
      to mope and complain. Take a deep breath and turn your life over to
      Jesus. Invite him into your life as your living Lord and Savior. Ask him
      for zeal to live a godly life from now on.
      Faith@Work; 10/8/2004