Over the Coffee Cup ~The Ticket~

  • John
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005
      OVER THE COFFEE CUP
      A time for relaxation and meditation.

      Ponder this:

      The Ticket
      ~By Bill Stephens~

      Jack took a long look at his speedometer before slowing down: 73 in
      a 55 zone.

      When his car had slowed to 10 miles an hour, Jack pulled over,
      but only partially off the road.
      Let the cop worry about the potential traffic hazard.
      Maybe some other car will tweak his backside with a mirror.

      The cop that stepped out of his car was Bob; Bob from Church?

      Jack sunk farther into his seat. This was worse than the coming
      ticket, a Christian cop catching a guy from his own church.

      Jumping out of the car, he approached a man he saw every Sunday,
      a man he'd never seen in uniform.

      Jack - "Hi, Bob."

      Bob - "Hello, Jack." No smile.

      Jack - "Guess you caught me red-handed in a rush to see my wife
      and kids."

      Bob - "Yeah, I guess."

      Jack - "I've seen some long days at the office lately. I'm
      afraid I was going a little fast. Diane said something about
      roast beef and potatoes tonight. Know what I mean?"
      Jack toed at a pebble on the pavement.

      Bob - "I know what you mean. I also know that you have a
      reputation for speeding."

      Ouch. This was not going in the right direction. Time to
      change tactics.

      Jack - "What'd you clock me at?"

      Bob - "Seventy. Would you sit back in your car please?"

      Jack - "Now wait a minute here, Bob. I checked as soon as I saw
      you. I was barely nudging 65."

      Bob - "Please, Jack, in the car."

      Flustered, Jack hunched himself through the still-open door.
      Slamming it shut, he stared at the dashboard. The minutes
      ticked by. Why hadn't he asked for a driver's license?
      A tap on the door jerked his head to the left. There was Bob,
      with a folded paper in hand.

      Jack rolled down the window a mere two inches, just enough room
      for Bob to pass him the slip.

      "Thanks a lot!" Jack could not quite keep the sneer out of his
      voice.

      Bob returned to his police car without a word as Jack unfolded
      the sheet of paper. How much was this one going to cost?

      Jack began to read:
      "Dear Jack, once I had a daughter. She was six when killed by a
      car. You guessed it - a speeding driver.

      A fine and three months in jail, and the man was free. Free to
      hug his daughters (all three of them). I only had one, and I'm
      going to have to wait until Heaven before I can ever hug her
      again.

      A thousand times I've tried to forgive that man for killing my
      daughter. A thousand times I thought I had. Maybe I did, but I
      need to do it again. Even now. Pray for me. And be careful.
      My son is all I have left.

      Bob"

      Jack turned around in time to see Bob's car pull away and head
      down the road. Jack watched until it disappeared. A full 15
      minutes later, he too, pulled away and drove slowly home,
      praying for forgiveness and hugging a surprised wife and kids
      when he arrived.

      Life is precious so handle it with care.
      Drive safely and carefully.

      Remember, cars are not the only things recalled by their maker.

      ---From Mountain Wings--

      Have a blessed week-end and attend Church.