WHAT IS GOOD IN IT? (Part 3)

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2005
      Redemption was discussed in Part 2 of this serial study of the atoning death of Jesus Christ that made Good Friday a good day for Christians and anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as his personal Savior and Lord. In this part of the study, I will discuss the second accomplishment of the death - propitiation.

      WHAT IS GOOD IN IT? (Part 3)
      (PROPITIATION)
      "God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished - he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus" (Romans 3:25-26, NIV).
      Propitiation simply means the removal of the wrath by the offering of a gift, or to appease or to satisfy a god. This is necessary because there is the wrath of God (Numbers 14:18; 2 Chronicles 36:16; Psalm 7:11; Isaiah 13:13; Ezekiel 20:8; Amos 1:3, John 3:36; Romans 1:18; 5:9; Colossians 3:6; Revelation 6:16). This wrath is against the sins of humanity. Every man is a sinner before God. God is a God of justice (Isaiah 30:18; Malachi 2:17). He hates sin and will bring every deed into judgment (Ecclesiastes 12:14). For a person to be acquitted of his crime, God must be appeased. To satisfy God's righteous demands, His holiness and justice, man's sins must be atoned for.
      In the Old Testament, the people had to sacrifice on the Day of Atonement and sprinkle the blood of the sacrificed animal on the Mercy Seat in the Most Holy Place. This blood would cover the Mercy Seat symbolizing that their sin "had been covered" (Leviticus 16; Hebrews 9:5). The animal sacrificed had been a substitute for the people.
      Jesus Christ is our sacrificial Lamb that 'propitiates' for our sins through His death (Romans 3:25; Hebrews 2:17; 1 John 2:2; 4:10). Because of this, God is satisfied, we will not be judged again (Romans 8:1). We have been justified (Romans 5:9). Since Christ has paid the price (redemption), our sins "are covered" and God's wrath is removed (Romans 5:9) (propitiation). God can be referred to as a just God and at the same time a justifying God. As the Old Testament sacrificial animals were substitutes for the people of Israel, so also Jesus Christ is our Substitute (2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 9:28; 1 Peter 2:24; 1 John. 2:2; 4:10).
      Since propitiation is toward God, its results also are centered on God. By propitiation as one of the accomplishments of the death of Jesus Christ, God is justified in forgiving sin; in bestowing righteousness upon us (Romans 3:25-26); and in bestowing all the blessings of grace upon us.
      Till next week that I will conclude by explaining the third accomplishment that made Good Friday a good day for Christians and anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as his personal Savior and Lord.
      Note:
      Send your comments and remarks on this study to me directly or copy me at spiritualdigest@... or spiritualdigest@.... God bless you!!!