Living Life God's Way 3/3/2005; For The Good Of Others

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2005

      Do not be angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be,
      since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be.
      Thomas a Kempis

      For The Good Of Others
      Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.
      1 Corinthians 10:24
      Sometimes we get so focused on what we want that we lose sight of
      what God wants. He not only wants us to consider whether or not
      something is beneficial for us but also whether it is good for others.
      The emphasis on self can distort our view of others. When self
      occupies our vision it becomes difficult to set aside what we want, or
      what we think is acceptable. Yet Paul repeatedly reminds us that we do
      not live for ourselves only. We are part of a community of believers and
      must consider how our actions affect others.
      "Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others" (v. 24).
      Paul is not talking about good things we can do for others but how we
      must consider the effect our actions will have on others. It is not just
      a matter of saying, "This is right for me." It is even more than
      deciding something is edifying. This verse commands an added dimension
      to our decision making - how will what I do affect others, and will it
      be for their good?

      Prayer: God, help me think about how what I do affects others. Give me a
      heart that desires to do what will be good for them, not just what
      pleases myself. Amen
      Faith Walk Devotional by Woodrow Kroll & Tony Beckett; 8/29/2004