Living Life God's Way 2/8/2005; Making Sacrifice With Joy

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2005

      I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,
      except in relation to the kingdom of Christ
      David Livingstone
      ____________________________________

      Making Sacrifice With Joy
      I heard a story once about two wealthy Christians, a lawyer and a
      merchant, who traveled with a group that was going around the world. As
      they were visiting in Korea, they saw by the side of the road, a field
      in which a boy was pulling a crude plow and an old man held the plow
      handles and guided it. The lawyer was amused and took a snapshot of the
      scene.
      He turned to the missionary, who served as their interpreter and
      guide, and he said, "That's a curious picture. I suppose they are very
      poor.."
      The guide replied, "Yes, that is the family of Chi Noue. When the
      place of worship was being built, they were eager to give something to
      it, but they had no money, so they sold their only ox and gave the money
      to the church. This spring, they are pulling the plow themselves.
      The men were silent for several moments. Then the businessman
      replied, "That must have been a real sacrifice."
      The guide said, "They do not call it that. They thought it was
      fortunate that they had an ox to sell."
      I am reminded of a parable Jesus told: "The kingdom of heaven is
      like treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid; and for
      joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field."
      (Matthew 13:44)
      Notice carefully the words "for joy." This man doesn't just sell
      everything he has; he does so with joy. He doesn't regret it. He doesn't
      complain about the sacrifice he has to make. In fact, he probably
      doesn't even consider it to be a sacrifice. He gives a lot for the
      field, but he gets so much more in return.
      When I perform a wedding ceremony, I often include these words:
      "Whatever sacrifice you will be required to make to preserve this common
      life, always make it generously. Sacrifice is usually difficult. Only
      love can make it easy; and perfect love can make it a joy."
      The same thing holds true in our walk with Christ. Sacrifices will
      be necessary, and only a deep love for Christ will make them a joy. The
      real test of our commitment is not so much whether we are willing to
      make sacrifices for our Lord, but whether we are able to make those
      sacrifices with joy.
      Thought For The Day (TFTD) by Alan Smith; 7/20/2004
      in the subject line
      Comments or questions; send email to rossboss@...