Living Life God's Way 1/17/2005; The Image of the Cross

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2005

      Most middle class Americans tend to worship their work,
      to work at their play, and to play at their worship.
      As a result...their lifestyles resemble a cast of characters in a search
      plot.
      Gordon Dahl

      The Image Of The Cross
      Nestled deep in the Rocky Mountains of North America stands a
      rugged peak. For nine months each year it lies robed in snow,
      indistinguishable from a dozen others surrounding it.
      But as summer arrives and the air warms, the mountain slowly sheds its
      blanket of white, revealing a massive emblem. High above the neighboring
      valleys, an 1100 foot vertical gouge bisects a 400 foot horizontal
      groove, forming an almost perfect image of the cross of Christ. This
      sight is so impressive that the famous American artist Thomas Moran
      visited the mountain to paint it in 1875, The peak is aptly named "The
      Mountain of the Holy Cross."
      In winter, only an expert could single out this particular peak
      from those around it. But in summer, any child could look at these
      mountains and easily choose "the one with the cross on it." The only
      real difference in this mountain and all the others is the enormous
      image etched into its face.
      We spend much of our lives creating a thick layer of
      "achievements." We climb the career ladder, push our kids to excel, move
      to a better neighborhood, pursue another degree, all in hope that we
      will somehow become more popular, wealthy, powerful, or influential.
      Like a thick blanket of snow our conquests and achievements cover us,
      deposited the one tiny flake at a time until they are totally obscured.
      For many of us, self esteem and self worth come from what we have
      accomplished or how much we can buy or who we know.
      Yet one day we will awaken to a new reality, an endless day in
      which all our values will be turned upside down. All that we have done,
      created, said, bought, and built will be brushed away, melted like snow
      under the gaze of our eternal Father. Deep within each one of us He will
      seek the one thing, the only thing He truly cares about: the imprint of
      the cross, the mark of His Son.
      Nothing else matters to Him. And on that day, nothing else will
      matter to you. Do you possess the one thing that really matters?
      author unknown