DO NOT LET YOUR HEARTS BE TROUBLED

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 2004
      Dear Beloved,
      DO NOT LET YOUR HEARTS BE TROUBLED
      "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me�. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (John 14:1, 27b, NIV).
      There are a lot of problems and hardships today that make the world unbearable for living. No one is immune from these things that are confronting human beings every day. Many have given up all hopes and are expecting the worst to happen. Some have even resorted to taking their lives. However, in all these, Jesus Christ says, "Do not let your hearts be troubled."
      Jesus Christ was with his disciples in the upper room giving them His farewell speech when He made this statement. His disciples were disturbed because of some events that He predicted. These events included: He was going away (John 7:34; 8:21; 12:8, 35; 13:33); He would die (John 12:32-33); one of them was a betrayer (John 13:21); Satan was at work against all of them (Luke 22:31-32); they would not be able to follow Him to where He was going (John 13:36); Peter would deny Him thrice (John 13:38); and all of them would fall away (Matthew 26:31). Nevertheless, Jesus counseled them to believe in God and also in Him (John 14:1). He was saying in essence that
      they should believe in, adhere to, trust in and rely on Him. Trust is the great antidote for a troubled heart. Seeing God above our problems will make our hearts not to be troubled.
      Jesus Christ did not ask His disciples to only trust in Him as an antidote for their troubled hearts, He also gave some other reasons for His admonition. He affirmed the reality of heaven where He was going to prepare a place for the disciples (as well as other believers), and come back to take them (John 14:2-3). The reward of Christian service in the hereafter is an encouragement to the disciples and even believers today to persevere in trials of faith.
      Jesus would not leave the disciples alone in the world. He promised that the Father would send another Comforter to them, Someone who would abide with them forever (John 14:15-17, 26). This would be the Holy Spirit.
      Despite the fact that Jesus Christ would leave His disciples, He would give them His peace (John 14:27). This peace would be different from the worldly peace or any other peace that they could think of. But this peace, as Paul put it, "�transcends all understanding, [and it] will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7, NIV). This would not be for them, just as part of their lives in eternity, but as a vital aspect of their lives on earth. The peace is also for all that put their total trust in Jesus Christ.
      Jesus Christ briefly mentioned it as He was rounding off His farewell speech that He has overcome Satan, the prince of this world (John 14:30). Satan might have come to this world, yet he would not overcome the disciples. Jesus Christ reaffirmed it also in John 16:33 that He has overcome the world.
      What are you passing through that is making your heart to be troubled? Remember Jesus' admonition, "Do not let your hearts be troubled." He has gone to prepare our eternal home for us. He will come back to take us to Himself. Come to God through Him, the only true living Way. Allow the Holy Spirit to have His way in your life. You will experience His peace. "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal" (2 Corinthians 4:17-18, NIV).
      In His service,
      Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor)

      NB
      This is an abrigded version of a study of John 14. If you want the full version, write me at directly spiritualdigest@... or spiritualdigest@.... God bless you!

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2010
        Dear Beloved,
[...]

        This message was first posted on October 17, 2004. It is an abridged
        version of a study of John 14. If you want the full version, write me
        at directly spiritualdigest@.... God bless you!

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2015

          Dearly Beloved,

[...]

          Prayer Point: Pray that you will always trust in Jesus instead of letting your heart be troubled.

          Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor)

          +447438782552

          BB PIN:58E5054C