923Living Life God's Way 7/1/2004; Seek God's Peace

    Jul 1, 2004

      Grace is something you can never get but can only be given.
      There's no way to earn it or deserve it or bring it about anymore
      than you can deserve the taste of raspberries and cream or earn
      good looks. A good night's sleep is grace and so are good dreams.
      Most tears are grace. The smell of rain is grace.
      Somebody loving you is grace.
      Frederick Buechner

      Seek God's Peace!
      "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say rejoice! Let your gentleness be
      evident to all.
      Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and
      petition, with
      thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which
      transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in
      Christ Jesus."
      Philippians 4:4-7
      "I just need a little peace and quiet!" You've all heard it said and
      probably have said it yourself at least once in your life! That elusive
      thing called "peace." We often think of it as the absence of chaos or
      noise, the absence of stress and busyness. We all search for it, want
      it, seek it, need it. So how do we get it?
      Just as so many things in the Kingdom of God are backwards to the
      world, so is the gift of peace. In order to receive the peace of God,
      which goes beyond anything we can explain, we must be willing to give.
      Yes, that's right, give.
      Three things are asked of us, and then comes the promise of peace.
      We are called to:

      1. Give praise - praise Jesus for who he is, what he has done and what
      he will do. - praise him in everything!
      2. Give it up! - Give up authority over your life. Let Jesus be Lord.
      Allow his authority to direct and guide. Give up your trust in
      material things or self, and out your trust in him. Rely on him.
      Put him first in your life. He is your peace. Live believing that
      he desires only the best for you. Let his will be done. (This is
      hard, but try it!0
      3. Give thanks - thank him for everything! Good, bad, smiles, frowns,
      tough times and great times, thank him for all of it., because it
      grows you, challenges you, keep you his! Giving thanks reminds us
      of all he is and has done. Be specific, and don't be afraid of
      being grateful for small things, too!

      When we give these three - praise, thanks, and submission - God
      promises us his peace. His peace will be there, because through
      faithfully giving these three our hearts and minds are centered in him
      and on him. Our perspective changes. The chaos doesn't go away, the
      noise is still there, the schedule busy, the stress high - bud amidst it
      all, you can find that peace of heart and mind which comes from the
      indwelling God, our savior and peacemaker.
      Faith@Work; 1/21/2004