1733ARE YOU MINDFUL OF DEATH?

    May 25, 2013

      ARE YOU MINDFUL OF DEATH?

      �Jesus said to her, �I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in
      me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me
      will never die. Do you believe this?�� (John 11:25-26 NIV).

      Honestly, I am not afraid of death. My favourite Bible verse has always
      been Philippians 1:21, �For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain�
      (NIV). However, as I was reading John 11:25-26 some weeks ago, I was struck
      with the phrase, �even though he dies�� as if I never heard or read it
      before. �Even though he dies�.� It was as if the phrase meant that I would
      die that day. I paused reading the Bible and started thinking of death.
      Death is inevitable. People are dying every minute. I have witnessed and
      even officiated in the burial services of many people. In fact, I once
      buried a very young niece-in-law who lived with my family. Death is not
      strange to me. But, it dawned on me that day that I had not prepared for
      death.

      Humanly speaking, no one would want to die. We want to have a long life,
      and if possible, live forever on earth. Nevertheless, each of us will die
      one day. No one knows when it will be his/her turn. This turn is not by age
      or any other factor. So, anyone can die at any time. Are you mindful of
      this?

      While being mindful of death, a believer in Jesus Christ does not need to
      be afraid of death. He will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives
      and believes in Jesus Christ will never die eternally. It means that
      physical death is not the end of a person. This was what Jesus Christ was
      asking Martha whether she believed or not. Thank God, Martha answered in
      the affirmative. Do you also believe this?

      Are you mindful of death? You do not need to be afraid of this. If you die
      in Jesus Christ, you will live with Him forever. If you die without Him,
      you will die eternally. The choice is yours.