REPENTED, BUT…

(1732)
  • Bayo Afolaranmi
    May 18, 2013 Expand Messages

      REPENTED, BUT�

      "In [Manasseh's] distress he sought the favor of the LORD his God and
      humbled himself greatly before the God of his fathers. And when he prayed
      to him, the LORD was moved by his entreaty and listened to his plea; so he
      brought him back to Jerusalem and to his kingdom. Then Manasseh knew that
      the LORD is God" (2 Chronicles 33:12-13 NIV).

      "I will make them abhorrent to all the kingdoms of the earth because of
      what Manasseh son of Hezekiah king of Judah did in Jerusalem" (Jeremiah
      15:4 NIV).

      Our God is compassionate and forgiving (Daniel 9:9). Yet one has to be very
      careful in relating with Him especially in keeping His commandments. The
      reason is that if one sins against Him and later on repents, one would
      still face the consequence of one's sins (Proverbs 11:21; 16:5).

      The story of Manasseh attests to this. Manasseh was one of the worst kings
      in Israel. He was the direct opposite of his godly father, Hezekiah. He did
      many detestable things to provoke the Lord. Tradition has it that he was
      the one that killed prophet Isaiah. After God had warned him and his
      people, and they did not heed to God's warning, God made him a prisoner in
      the court of another powerful king. However, in his distress, he repented
      and asked for God's forgiveness. The compassionate and forgiving God heard
      his prayers and restored him back to his kingdom. He later spent his life
      doing good things (see 2 Chronicles 33). Nevertheless, his people faced the
      consequence of his atrocities (see Jeremiah 15). The Lord promised to make
      them suffer because of what he did.

      One should not view this as injustice on the part of God. The people also
      had their own share of the blame, but that is not the emphasis here. The
      emphasis is a particular repented and forgiven person was made as a
      reference point for the impending judgment. This indicates that though God
      forgave Manasseh, the punishment of his sins were still there.

      The punishment of Manasseh's sins might not be directly on him, but the
      cases of David and Paul were different. David committed the sins of
      adultery and murder. When confronted by prophet Nathan, he repented and
      said the prayer found in Psalm 51. Undoubtedly, his sins were forgiven, but
      he paid dearly for them (2 Samuel 12:13-14; 13-21). Paul (formerly Saul)
      persecuted the disciples of Jesus Christ. When he had an encounter with
      God, God promised, "I will show him how much he must suffer for my name"
      (Acts 9:16 NIV). He did suffer.

      What are you doing now? Is it good or bad? You may be thinking of later
      repentance. However, hear the words of Solomon: "Now all has been heard;
      here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments,
      for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into
      judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil"
      (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 NIV).

      This message was first sent out on November 14, 2004.