1707PRAYING FOR THE DEAD?

    Dec 1, 2012

      PRAYING FOR THE DEAD?

      "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment"
      (Hebrews 9:27 NKJV).

      Recently, my mother died after a brief illness. Expectedly, many people
      that heard the sad news condoled with me. However, what interested me about
      the condolence was the fact that most of the people that condoled with me
      were praying for my dead mother. I was not surprised about this, but I
      hardly say "Amen" to such prayers because I do not believe in praying for
      the dead. I would rather prefer praying for the beloved living ones that
      the dead left behind.

      The act of praying for the dead is an established one in many cultures,
      religions and even some Christian denominations. There are even strong
      doctrines in support of the practice in some of these denominations. There
      have been arguments for and against the practice. Nevertheless, the act is
      contrary to the teachings of the Holy Bible. Our prayers have no bearing on
      a person once he has died. The reason is that at that point his eternal
      future is confirmed. Either he is saved through faith in Jesus Christ and
      is in God�s presence where he is experiencing rest and the joy of being in
      His presence, or he is in hell or torments. The parable of the rich man and
      Lazarus the beggar (in Luke 16) is a good illustration of this. Hebrews
      9:27 reads thus: "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after
      this the judgment" (NKJV). Paul was confident that to be absent from the
      body was to be at home and present with the Lord (see 2 Corinthians 5:1-8).
      He also said, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to
      go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what
      shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to
      depart and be with Christ, which is better by far" (Philippians 1:21-23
      NIV). In Revelation 14:13, it is declared that those that are dead in the
      Lord are blessed already and are resting from any labour because their
      deeds are following them.

      No matter how acceptable the practice of praying for the dead may be, it
      negates the teachings of the Scriptures. The simple gospel message is:
      "[Anyone] who believes in [Jesus Christ], though he may die, he shall live"
      (John 11:25 NKJV). The implication of this is that one must settle one's
      eternal destination here on earth. No amount of prayers will change one's
      eternal state once one is dead. Period!

      While I do not intend to engage in argument with anyone on the matter of
      praying for the dead, you may send your reaction(s) to this message to me
      at spiritualdigest@.... God bless you!