1696LET GOD CONTEND!

    Sep 15 11:35 AM

      LET GOD CONTEND!

      The violent protests in Egypt and Libya over a US-produced film that
      demonstrators believe insults the Prophet Muhammad that led to the killing
      of the US ambassador in Libya and three other Americans and the rumoured
      proposed demonstrations in other Muslim-dominated areas especially in
      Nigeria made me changed the message that I intended to send out this week
      and delved into my archive to adapt this message titled "JERUB-GOD"
      initially sent out on May 9, 2004:

      "But Joash replied to the hostile crowd around him, 'Are you going to plead
      Baal's cause? Are you trying to save him? Whoever fights for him shall be
      put to death by morning! If Baal really is a god, he can defend himself
      when someone breaks down his altar.' So that day they called Gideon
      'Jerub-Baal,' saying, 'Let Baal contend with him,' because he broke down
      Baal's altar" (Judges 6:31-32 NIV).

      The people of Orphrah found their Baal altar desecrated. They discovered
      that Gideon, the son of Joash wreaked the havoc. They must take vengeance!
      They must kill Gideon. However, his father gave a classic advice: let Baal
      fight for himself if it is really god.

      Today, many people are like the people of Orphran. They are violent against
      other people due to religion. They think that they can help God fight His
      battles. They are ready to take the lives of their fellow human beings
      because of religion! The Libyan incident is just one out of many instances
      where such people are killing and/or maiming other people and destroying
      their properties because they are trying to defend their religion or help
      their so-called God.

      Can one fight for the Almighty God? Can one defend Him? Should one play
      God? Should we lose sight of the judgment of God? He is indeed God! No one
      can help Him. He fights for Himself. Read this: "When they came to the
      threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah reached out and took hold of the ark of
      God, because the oxen stumbled. The LORD's anger burned against Uzzah
      because of his irreverent act; therefore God struck him down and he died
      there beside the ark of God" (2 Samuel 6:6-7 NIV). Many Bible scholars
      disagree as to how "irreverent" his act was. Was he not trying to help God?
      Well, he paid dearly for it.

      Certainly, our God is not weak. He does not need anyone to defend Him or
      fight for Him. He defends Himself - in His own way. Isaiah declared, "[God]
      put on righteousness like a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation on His
      head; And He put on garments of vengeance for clothing And wrapped Himself
      with zeal as a mantle. According to their deeds, so He will repay, Wrath to
      His adversaries, recompense to His enemies; to the coastlands He will make
      recompense. So they will fear the name of the LORD from the west and His
      glory from the rising of the sun, For He will come like a rushing stream
      which the wind of the LORD drives" (59:17-19, NASB. See also Nahum 1:2;
      Romans 12:19).

      Are you trying to defend God or fight for Him? He does not need that! Allow
      Him to do the fighting in His own way and in His own time. Only a powerless
      god will need his adherents to defend him or fight for him. Let God
      contend. Jerub-God!

      This message is dedicated to the slain US ambassador, J Christopher
      Stevens, the other three Americans and all others that were killed or
      maimed throughout the world by Muslims because of religion.