1603WHY WOULD YOU CURSE?

    Oct 5, 2008

      WHY WOULD YOU CURSE?

      "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse" (Romans 12:14, NIV).

      "Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing,
      because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing" (1
      Peter 3:9, NIV).

      As I was sending out my usual prayer wishes for the beginning of the
      month by SMS early in the morning on the first day of this month, I
      received a call from an unknown person who was mad at me for sending
      an SMS to her mobile phone. In spite of introducing myself to her and
      explanation, she did not hesitate to rain curses on me because she
      received a prayer wish from an unknown person. Even my blessings to
      counter her curses could not stop her from the cursing. I later sent
      another SMS full of blessings to her, though she did not react to the
      second SMS.

      The incident made me to wonder: why would one curse another person? It
      is understandable if one curses someone or something because of
      something bad that the person or thing has done, or something good
      that the person or thing did not do. However, to curse because of
      something good that comes from an unknown source is unimaginable to
      me.

      Many biblical injunctions teach against cursing, rather, they instruct
      that we should bless people, even people that do bad things to us
      (Matthew 5:44; Luke 6:28; Romans 12:14, 19-21; 1 Thessalonians 5:15; 1
      Peter 3:9). Jesus Christ and other early Christians exemplified this
      (see Luke 23:34; Acts 7:60; 1 Corinthians 4:12-13; 1 Peter 2:21-23).

      There should not be any reason whatsoever for cursing other people.
      Even when people do things that deserve your curse, bless them and
      leave room for God to judge (see Romans 12:19). You are called to be a
      blessing to others (1 Peter 2:21; 3:9). Why would you curse?

      Let me use this medium to request again for the mobile phone numbers
      of people that want to be receiving prayer wishes/quotes by SMS from
      me (if you are not already in the list). Remember to include your
      country code if you are not in Nigeria. In addition, if you have given
      me your number before and you have not been receiving frequently from
      me by SMS, please let me know. God bless you!