1565HOW WOULD YOU APPRECIATE GOD?

    Mar 1, 2008

      HOW WOULD YOU APPRECIATE GOD?

      "Then the LORD said to Moses, 'When you take a census of the
      Israelites to count them, each one must pay the LORD a ransom for his
      life at the time he is counted. Then no plague will come on them when
      you number them'" (Exodus 30:11-12, NIV).

      As the people of Israel were coming out of slavery in the land of
      Egypt, God gave them many laws that would guide them as a peculiar
      nation to Him. Among these laws was the atonement money to be paid to
      the sanctuary when men from twenty years and above were being counted
      as part of the military force. In contrast to other offerings, the
      rich were not to give more, nor the poor less (verse 15). This was to
      point out that the souls of the rich and poor are alike precious, and
      that God is no respecter of persons. This particular offering was to
      be paid as a ransom of the soul, so that "plague will come on them".
      Thus they acknowledged that they received their lives from God, that
      they had surrendered their lives to Him, and that they depended upon
      His power and patience for the continuance of them; and hence, they
      did homage to the God of their lives.

      Most of these laws including this one are not applicable to us today
      because we are not under the law but under the grace of God. However,
      there is a lesson for us today from such law: we owe God our lives,
      and we have to be appreciating Him for the gift of life He has given
      us. Giving of money to the cause of the gospel is just one of the
      numerous ways to appreciate God for our lives. The most important
      appreciation we can give God is our life. This was what the Macedonian
      churches did. "They gave themselves first to the Lord..." (2
      Corinthians 8:1, 5, NIV). Then, they did other kinds of giving to
      appreciate God.

      How would you appreciate God for your life? What would you use to
      appreciate God for everything He is doing in your life? While many
      ministers of God would emphasize giving of money, have you considered
      firstly giving of your whole life back unto Him as your appreciation
      for that life? He deserves nothing less than that from you. Only an
      ingrate and a fool will disregard God and do not appreciate Him for
      his life.