1479PULL DOWN THE STRONGHOLDS

    Feb 5 12:01 AM

      PULL DOWN THE STRONGHOLDS

      "For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling
      down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts
      itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity
      to the obedience of Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:4-5, NKJV).

      There are many strongholds that the evil one is using against the Christian
      as an individual and as a whole. What are these strongholds? How can we pull
      them down?

      The ordinary definitions of the word "stronghold" do not connote any evil
      sense. However, one usage of the word in the Bible gives us more insight
      into the necessity of the theme. The only place that the word stronghold is
      used in the New Testament is in 2 Corinthians 10:4 where it is used
      metaphorically of those things in which mere human confidence is imposed. It
      is here beautifully used to denote the various obstacles resembling a
      fortress which exist, and which are designed and adapted to oppose the truth
      and the triumph of the Christian's cause.

      These strongholds are what Paul referred to as "the rulers �the authorities
      � the powers of this dark world and �the spiritual forces of evil in the
      heavenly realms" (Ephesians 6:12, NIV). They can be described as an
      atmosphere of darkness that has been strengthened or fortified for attack
      and affliction. They are the realms of spiritual warfare where the power of
      darkness strives to weaken the divine authority, usurp God's authority and
      thwart the plan and purpose of God for His creation.

      Satan operates his strongholds in many areas. There are personal strongholds
      that lay siege against the individual in order to influence the life of the
      person negatively. No wonder, Job lamented, "Man born of woman is of few
      days and full of trouble" (Job 14:1, NIV). There are family strongholds that
      manifest in/through area of family life. The devil sees other institutions
      apart from the family as his catchments where he could prowl and thrive well
      in his activities. There are many satanic confederations that are operating
      as allies of the kingdom of darkness. They manifest themselves in the other
      religions of the world. These are what Paul referred to as "arguments and
      every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God" and
      "every thought" that we are to be pulled down and made "�obedient to Christ"
      in 2 Corinthians 10:4-5. Moreover, there are community and territorial
      strongholds where Satan and his cohorts build formidable but invisible walls
      against geographical locations for firm possession and control that are
      determined by a lot of factors.

      Inasmuch as these strongholds are spiritual strongholds, it will require
      spiritual means to pull them down. Paul stated, "The weapons we fight with
      are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to
      demolish strongholds" (2 Corinthians 10:4, NIV). This divine power is the
      kingdom power � the ability and authority of the King (God or Jesus Christ)
      that He has bestowed upon the people of His kingdom. This is the reason why
      Paul advised, "�be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the
      full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's
      schemes�. so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your
      ground, and after you have done everything, to stand" (Ephesians 6:10-13,
      NIV). The armour of God consists of godly virtues of truth, righteousness,
      peace, faith, and salvation as the defensive weapons, and the word of God
      and prayer as the offensive weapons (Ephesians 6:14-18).

      What are those strongholds that Satan and his cohorts have built against
      you? We cannot pretend as if they are not there. Human resources and power
      cannot pull down these strongholds. They are like the wall of Jericho that
      required obedience to divine instructions in order to pull it down (see
      Joshua 6). You also will be able to pull down all the strongholds of the
      devil in your life if you can be obedient to God's instructions in His
      words, the Bible, by putting on the whole armour of God and fight the battle
      with the power of the kingdom. Victory is yours!

      This is an abridged version of one of my recent write-ups. Send a request
      directly to me at <spiritualdigest@...> for the full text of the
      write-up. God bless you!