1405THE WORDS OF JESUS CHRIST ON THE CROSS (Part 5)

    Apr 3, 2006

      THE WORDS OF JESUS CHRIST ON THE CROSS (Part 5)

      "Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would
      be fulfilled, Jesus said, 'I am thirsty'" (John 19:28, NIV).
      *

      *

      Ordinarily, when one walks, runs or works for a long period of time, one
      must experience thirst. Having stayed on the cross for over six hours, Jesus
      Christ had lost a lot of sweat and blood, so He was thirsty. The fatigue
      that He had undergone, the grief He had felt, the heat of the day, and the
      loss of blood, were the natural causes of this thirst. He must be really
      thirsty. Thirst was one of the most distressing circumstances during the
      crucifixion. He cried out that He was thirsty. However, this cry was to
      fulfill a prophecy in Psalm 69:21, "They put gall in my food and gave me
      vinegar for my thirst" (NIV).

      It is evident that He did not complain of the injustice they did to Him in
      beating Him, crowning Him with crown of thorn, and even nailing Him on the
      cross. This expression of thirst, though real to Him, was not a complaint.
      But, Jesus Christ thirsted after the glorifying of God, and the
      accomplishment of the work of our salvation. He demonstrated His respect for
      the Scriptures by making this declaration so that everything predicted about
      Him in the Scriptures had its complete fulfillment in Him.

      It is fascinating that He that had earlier declared that, "Everyone who
      drinks this [physical] water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the
      water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become
      in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life" (John 4:13-14, NIV) was
      thirsty on the Roman cross (see also John 6:35; 7:38). Nonetheless, He was
      thirsty physically on the cross so that anyone that believes in Him would
      not be thirsty spiritually and eternally.

      One important implication of this declaration is that everyone that does not
      want to be thirsty spiritually and eternally should believe in Jesus Christ.
      Have you believed in Him? Do the rivers of living water flow from within
      you?

      Note:

      Comments and reactions on the study are welcome. Write a personal email to
      me at spiritualdigest@.... God bless you!!!